The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Exterior Door Handle Differences. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=275071)

Sonic ZS 27th October 2017 21:34

Exterior Door Handle Differences.

Just had a look through the various PPD mods that took place over the production run, but can't find anything on the following.

Had an early and late car parked side-by-side recently, and noticed the 'feel' of the outer chrome door handle was different ? On closer inspection, the later example has handles where the inner edges (that your fingers wrap around) are much more rounded and hence feels 'softer' to the touch. By comparison, the earlier ones almost felt sharp.

Anyone else aware of this little production difference ? Although small, the handles appear to be a completely different casting ! :}

Rick-sta 27th October 2017 21:56

Yes I noticed this after working on a variety of 75s and ZT's this year, the earlier models had door handles that have a much sharper feel to them. I like and prefer the feel to them :)

trikey 27th October 2017 23:42

I shall have to inspect this, I have never noticed!

Jim Jamieson 27th October 2017 23:53

One thing I have noticed is they’re prone to corrosion. **

My current 02 Conny which has spent all of its life in Scotland the handles are perfect but my project 01 plate Conny which has spent almost its entire life on the south coast it’s handles are corroded.
Both cars have similar mileage’s, around the 60k

** I know it’s not corrosion as such it’s more a fault within the casting of the handles.

Stephen Fussell 28th October 2017 08:03

I've checked the MG Rover EPC, the part numbers are the same from launch to finish, no supersessions. I do recall the "pitting" issues under warranty, I recall, but can't confirm there being a change of supplier due to this.

Sonic ZS 28th October 2017 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Fussell (Post 2556838)
I've checked the MG Rover EPC, the part numbers are the same from launch to finish, no supersessions. I do recall the "pitting" issues under warranty, I recall, but can't confirm there being a change of supplier due to this.

I had a closer look today and they are definitely different. If I get chance this week, I'll try and remove one of the early type and take some pics on the bench, to show the differences :}

Rover66 28th October 2017 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic ZS (Post 2556728)
Just had a look through the various PPD mods that took place over the production run, but can't find anything on the following.

Had an early and late car parked side-by-side recently, and noticed the 'feel' of the outer chrome door handle was different ? On closer inspection, the later example has handles where the inner edges (that your fingers wrap around) are much more rounded and hence feels 'softer' to the touch. By comparison, the earlier ones almost felt sharp.

Anyone else aware of this little production difference ? Although small, the handles appear to be a completely different casting ! :}

Agreed as the inner edges of the door handles on my pre-production car have a sharper edge, but the door handles on my 51 plate diesel has a softer more rounded edge to them.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Sonic ZS 11th July 2019 13:50

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic ZS (Post 2557059)
I had a closer look today and they are definitely different. If I get chance this week, I'll try and remove one of the early type and take some pics on the bench, to show the differences :}

Well, it's only taken me almost 2 years :duh::duh: but I finally got round to comparing the early and late type exterior door handle castings this week (....now there's a topic to impress your friends at parties :D:getmecoat:)

I've taken a pic, as the differences aren't visible whilst fitted to the car. The castings (2 per handle) are completely different and I assume were changed during production to give a softer, better quality feel to the model:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&d=1562853240

Attachment 79061

(Apologies if the image is showing at 90', I've tried to amend to get it straight, but the system seems to keep changing it for some reason ?)

Mike Trident 12th July 2019 00:31

I remember reading something somewhere that when the 75 was launched some journalists said the door handles were sharp! No!, I am not making this up.

Perhaps they took the comments on board.

Reebs 12th July 2019 04:37

Yes the club car OVP which is a very early example has the sharper handles. I’m glad they changed them for smoother ones, much nicer to the touch :cool:

Picture rotated Paul BTW