The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Blue Smoke Problem Overkill ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297309)

Rev Jules 9th July 2019 09:29

Blue Smoke Problem Overkill ?

5 Attachment(s)
I have now gone down the road of getting vital components to see if it will cure my ongoing problem. I will start with fitting 4 refurbed injectors as MarinaBrian suggested, if that does not cure it then I shall get the Turbo fitted. If some of you think I have more money than sense so be it.
If it is still not happy then it may be the stem seals.

This is what I have waiting to be fitted.

Rev

Gate Keeper 9th July 2019 09:42

Hi Julien, I am really sorry to see you are having to go through the pain of the expense involved. Hopefully the solution will be as Brian suggests and not the stem seals.

Rev Jules 9th July 2019 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2746504)
Hi Julien, I am really sorry to see you are having to go through the pain of the expense involved. Hopefully the solution will be as Brian suggests and not the stem seals.

Hi Phil.
Same to you likewise, after all your problems health wise, you certainly did not need the stressful time with your car, you did not need that type of hassle it would have really pessed me off big time.
Julien

Gate Keeper 9th July 2019 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2746510)
Hi Phil.
Same to you likewise, after all your problems health wise, you certainly did not need the stressful time with your car, you did not need that type of hassle it would have really pessed me off big time.
Julien

As per usual Julien, you are right. Even though the belts had been changed at 70K in 2010, I was under pressure from certain quarters, to change the belts again and to sort out the blue smoke. The advice made sense, so in removing the old belts, the camshaft snapped and you know the rest of the story.

I should add, that I have seen the camshaft and one end of it was rusty and brittle. It was just a matter of time before it was going to fail. I don’t blame the mechanic for what happened.

You and myself have to stay positive and upbeat, right :}

Rev Jules 10th July 2019 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2746649)
As per usual Julien, you are right. Even though the belts had been changed at 70K in 2010, I was under pressure from certain quarters, to change the belts again and to sort out the blue smoke. The advice made sense, so in removing the old belts, the camshaft snapped and you know the rest of the story.

I should add, that I have seen the camshaft and one end of it was rusty and brittle. It was just a matter of time before it was going to fail. I don’t blame the mechanic for what happened.

You and myself have to stay positive and upbeat, right :}

Good Morning Phil and Jessica.

Spot on with that last statement, what would life be without these hiccups.

Julien

COLVERT 11th July 2019 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2746500)
I have now gone down the road of getting vital components to see if it will cure my ongoing problem. I will start with fitting 4 refurbed injectors as MarinaBrian suggested, if that does not cure it then I shall get the Turbo fitted. If some of you think I have more money than sense so be it.
If it is still not happy then it may be the stem seals.

This is what I have waiting to be fitted.

Rev

Blue smoke from worn valve stem seals will only appear on start up in the morning then go away.

Oil can leak past the seals overnight to burn and smoke next morning.----:eek:

slovcan 11th July 2019 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2747085)
Blue smoke from worn valve stem seals will only appear on start up in the morning then go away.

Oil can leak past the seals overnight to burn and smoke next morning.----:eek:

Yes, but Rev's car has too few miles to be worn valve stem seals IMHO.

I think either injectors (though I thought they would make white or black smoke) or turbo seal (same symptoms as valve stem seals).

bl52krz 12th July 2019 16:01

This will be an interesting exercise Julian. Is it the injectors? Is it stem seals? Is it turbo? This is intriguing. I hope it is the injectors, Best of luck.

COLVERT 13th July 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovcan (Post 2747126)
Yes, but Rev's car has too few miles to be worn valve stem seals IMHO.

I think either injectors (though I thought they would make white or black smoke) or turbo seal (same symptoms as valve stem seals).

Generally if the turbo seals are worn the exhaust will smoke all of the time. The oil will be forced out under pressure with the engine running.
Valve stem seals, drip feed only.

COLVERT 17th July 2019 15:09

Fitted any of those bits you have REV and if so has it cured anything ???