The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Weird noises.. ?? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=240244)

James.uk 20th March 2016 03:50

Weird noises.. ??

I have started getting a noise once my car goes above a certain speed. :mad:

It sounds like very heavy rain drops on a tin roof, or the creaking of new leather. Although the sound is pretty LOUD, it is very hard to pin down where it originates from.

Starting point for the noise is about 65-70 mph. The sound goes away quickly as my car slows down again.. ???

Anyone have any ideas please?

Leyland Worldmaster 20th March 2016 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by James.uk (Post 2245612)

It sounds like very heavy rain drops on a tin roof, or the creaking of new leather. Although the sound is pretty LOUD, it is very hard to pin down where it originates from.

Starting point for the noise is about 65-70 mph. The sound goes away quickly as my car slows down again.. ???

As it's speed related, perhaps check your tyres? Maybe a balance weight has fallen off... :)

David Lawrence 20th March 2016 07:10

Quote:

Could wind be making something flap at speed? A loose heatshield or something around the undertray? or something like a split boot on a cv joint and the rubber catching on something as it spins round? Just ideas.

Chuckles 21st March 2016 05:14

I had a loose under tray once making a strange whoomping rattle!

samIam78 21st March 2016 12:05

Quote:

I had the similar weird noise once. I took the car to my garage and they said it's the turbo. May be you should check your turbo

James.uk 21st March 2016 15:24

Thanks for all the help so far..... :}

It isn't a flappy sort of sound.
No tray on my car.
No vibration so not wheel related.

The noise is like heavy raindrops you get just before a storm. They are seperate but very frequent, and sound as though it is up in the roof! ???

They start and stop at about 65 mph...

DMGRS 21st March 2016 16:49

My weird noise at speed was also undertray - where it meets the bumper.
Before I read your last post, I was confident that'd be the answer! :D