The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Lewis Hamilton Knighted (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310205)

Darcydog 30th December 2020 21:42

Lewis Hamilton Knighted

Just been announced.

Rev Jules 31st December 2020 08:07

no comment!!!

Lovel 31st December 2020 08:41

Principled guy eh, how could he accept a gong from the evil empire?

Surely there are more deserving candidates who reside in the UK rather than a bejewelled overpaid woke celebrity?

Annfield-East 31st December 2020 09:09

Knights of the British Empire should be residents of it.

Not sure that Monaco fits the bill.

Oldoaks 31st December 2020 09:17

Whilst I certainly don't agree with his political posturing, there is no denying he is one of the greats of his sport and will be spoken about in the same breath as the greats that have come before him. For that reason I believe it is throughly deserved!

Steamdrivenandy 31st December 2020 09:25

I bet there are quite a few wealthy Brits who live abroard and who've done nothing else but donated to UK political parties and been rewarded by knighthoods etc.

So, for his achievement in his sport and his position against racism I applaud the award.

MissMoppet 31st December 2020 09:54

Always been a mystery to me why anyone craves after these baubles. A few years ago my neighbour was walking by the river in the middle of Taunton and he saw a man jump off the bridge. Though he couldn't swim he jumped in but the man grasped him tight and they both drowned. Turned out he was a mental patient. And what did his widow (+ three children) get? A letter of commendation from the Chief Constable.

another_clean_sheet 31st December 2020 10:03

Well ahead of Hamilton is Jimmy Greaves. This guy, 50 years on, holds the record for number of goals scored in the top flight, phenomenal strike rate for England and all the charity work he did. In case you are wondering I am not a Spurs supporter but a Gooner.
Hamilton's performance has yielded a record number of wins. But as a rookie like George Russell proved a couple of Grand Prix ago.the car is a long way ahead of the rest. As for his statement that he keeps a 1000 people employed in the UK - any driver driving for Mercedes could say that.

SideValve 31st December 2020 10:07

He's deserved his championships.
He's arguably deserved his Sports Personality wins
But he left the UK years ago and, as a very wealthy man, avoids contributing to our NHS, schools, policing and society in general.

Dont get me started on Baron Lebedev (Ex KGB Russian banker and owner of the Evening Standard) getting a peerage.

Rogue 31st December 2020 11:16

Quote:

But he left the UK years ago and, as a very wealthy man, avoids contributing to our NHS, schools, policing and society in general
But just happens to be one of the top 5000 tax payers in the UK. :icon_rolleyes: