The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do I came back....??? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=249130)

jet225 13th July 2016 21:59

Do I came back....???

After owning a ZT diesel some 10 months ago. Which I had to 'pass onto' someone for the sum of approx £100 as I hadn't got the stomach for another complete clutch and flywheel combination yet again after only 50k since I had the last one fitted.... After selling the MG, I bought a Seat toledo diesel, this has performed well,but now has an iminent head gasket failure luming.. (already blown the radiator, and blowing coolent out of the header tank). So now that will be meeting it's maker in the local scrap yard (uneconomic repair - plus it needs a cam belt and water pump combo).
After looking for a replacement car I'm strangely drawn towards another ZT.. (what's wrong wih me, I swore, no more rovers for me)...!! The times I emptied the plenum chamber of water, brake light sticking on, re sealing the rear light as the boot filled with water... Etc. The list can go on..
Anyway, what I'm coming to is the ultimate question.. Already been 'damaged' by the clutch and it's expensive repair..
Will an automatic ZT diesel cure my reservations over buying another 75 ZT...??? I can put up with the other problems I've encountered with ownership, as the ZT was a great drive, smooth etc... It's just the confounded manual clutch I can't get over...!!
All help greatfully received..!!

Cheers, alan.

trikey 13th July 2016 22:12

You have answered your own dilemma, get an auto - then you just have the other items on your list to sort :p:

marinabrian 13th July 2016 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2329609)
You have answered your own dilemma, get an auto - then you just have the other items on your list to sort :p:

It must be an edited list though Andy, I'm sure my lists are always longer than his :getmecoat:

Brian :D

trikey 13th July 2016 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2329611)
It must be an edited list though Andy, I'm sure my lists are always longer than his :getmecoat:

Brian :D

Mine too Bri, every car I have has a few jobs that need doing, do one job - another two appear!!

Jules 13th July 2016 22:23

Auto is the answer.

But don't be fooled into buying a cheap car that had been neglected.
Cheap neglected examples usually cost you more in the long run than buying a well maintained mint one.

Scruffy dented paintwork and smelly gopping interiors usually mean bodged or ageing mechanicals also :getmecoat:

DMGRS 13th July 2016 22:37

The automatic gearbox is a fantastic unit - very early models suffered with reverse piston failure (however most, if not all, ZT diesels will be past the affected age) and the occasional 2/4 Brake Duty Solenoid issue.

The solenoid in question is easy to change - I did mine myself, took around an hour and wasn't too bad of a job at all. Parts are around £70.

Apart from that, the automatic side of things shouldn't give any bother - just the usual 75 / ZT issues.

Ravinder 14th July 2016 00:42

What is the brake duty solenoid issue?

stocktake 14th July 2016 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2329664)
What is the brake duty solenoid issue?

When this fails it results in a harsh gear change, you will know if it happens ;):eek: Cured by changing the solenoid in the auto gearbox.

jet225 14th July 2016 05:54

Thanks for the replies, I was looking for a bit of confidence in the auto version.. I'll be on the look out a for a estate version this time I think..
Cheers,
AL.

TomRS 14th July 2016 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2329614)
Mine too Bri, every car I have has a few jobs that need doing, do one job - another two appear!!

Turns into that game you play where you try and hit the mole and more and more pop up.
That is literally ZT ownership :shrug:

Still love them though, stupid things!