The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MG ZT+ CDTI non starter (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=272977)

wmick 7th September 2017 14:56

MG ZT+ CDTI non starter

Hello all you knowledgeable types out there, a friend has been presented with an above MG in what appears to be a good condition.
But it won't start.
It's had no battery for about 9 months and when we came to start it today, it wouldn't, and both the fuel pumps were not running. Lights and wipers worked fine.
Is this a symptom of "immobiliser needing help" or is it something I can fix myself.
I've tried using TOAF to see if there's anything obvious but it won't talk to the ECU even though it will show errors in other modules.
Any ideas?

Mick

cb750chris 7th September 2017 15:06

Hi Mick,
There could be any number of reasons for this.
First off, does the car have the ECU fitted (and plugged in etc)?
Have you checked all the fuses? (If the immobiliser and ECU cannot talk, the immobiliser state immobilised)

If you are near Hampshire, I may be able to help, I have a full set of spares for the diesel electronics so can help identify any issues.

Chris

wmick 7th September 2017 15:57

Thanks Chris, the car was running fine 9 months ago, I've driven it myself, but the battery died and got chucked.
Maybe attempting to start it with a duff battery fried the immobiliser?

Mick

Sprinter 7th September 2017 17:05

If it has been sat for 9 months could it be that the plenums are blocked and now flooded. That'll knock out the ECU.

HarryM1BYT 7th September 2017 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprinter (Post 2538378)
If it has been sat for 9 months could it be that the plenums are blocked and now flooded. That'll knock out the ECU.

I agree, a job for Marinabrian..

marinabrian 7th September 2017 17:31

ECU has been for a swim, fuel pump relay output is the first thing to go ;)

Brian :D

wmick 7th September 2017 21:18

Thank you everyone, I'll check the ECU in the morning.

Mick

wmick 8th September 2017 22:56

OK, plenum dry as a bone, but I suppose the only way to tell is to look for a tide mark on the circuit board. That'll have to wait until next week.
Any other ideas?

Mick

marinabrian 8th September 2017 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmick (Post 2538923)
OK, plenum dry as a bone, but I suppose the only way to tell is to look for a tide mark on the circuit board. That'll have to wait until next week.
Any other ideas?

Mick

Yes, dig out your multimeter and take a look HERE

Brian :D

HarryM1BYT 9th September 2017 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmick (Post 2538923)
Any other ideas?

Mick

Dry now, doesn't mean it has never flooded. Its unlikely that the drains would become completely blocked, but they can become choked enough that in an heavy rain storm the water can rise up to flood the ECU. Which is all that is needed to damage the ECU. Once moisture gets into the case of the ECU, it cannot so easily get out again - it will percolate inside for months.

It only takes a few minutes to remove the ECU to have a quick look at it, but a good indicator of any past flooding, is the pollen filter if it has been in there a while.