The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Loss of power on motorway (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310754)

EVS 29th January 2021 13:55

Loss of power on motorway

While driving on the motorway, suddenly my car lost power, but the engine kept running.
There was nothing I could do about it, downshifting didn't help and putting my foot down didn't make any difference either.
My car slowed down from 120 kmh to just under 90 kmh before the problem went away by itself and I could accelerate again.

Due to lockdown, my car doesn't get much mileage at the moment, and the little it does get is mostly short trips to the shops.
I have since done an ltalian tune-up right before MOT (passed with flying colours and compliments for the clean undercarriage) and haven't had the problem reappear yet.

Is the Italian tune-up a good way to keep the same issue from happening again or should I look for another cause for the loss of power?

roverbarmy 29th January 2021 14:10

It may be best to check for any fault codes before trying to guess what may have happened.

EVS 30th January 2021 13:00

There were no fault codes when it happened, just checked again and still no codes to be seen.

roverbarmy 30th January 2021 13:28

Check fuel filter under back seat for coming loose. Check for water in plenum chamber flooding the ECU.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

EVS 30th January 2021 14:27

Nothing there either: plenum's pretty much dry and my clip's still holding the filter together nicely. It's nothing obvious, it seems to me. Tank is three quarters full, so that's not it either.

roverbarmy 30th January 2021 14:34

Maybe some dodgy fuel (water contamination)? Could be a number of things. If it running OK now, it's a wait and see then!

EVS 30th January 2021 15:13

Cheers, I'll keep an eye on it anyway, might not notice it right away as long as lockdown continues...

COLVERT 31st January 2021 13:58

The crank sensor might be a possible suspect. It's at high revs that the problems with them seem to start.

marinabrian 31st January 2021 17:48

I'd consider the possibility of the fuel filter unscrewing itself and the resultant loss of pressure.

Does your car have the orange clip installed on the filter housing?

Brian :D

COLVERT 31st January 2021 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2862688)
I'd consider the possibility of the fuel filter unscrewing itself and the resultant loss of pressure.

Does your car have the orange clip installed on the filter housing?

Brian :D

His post 3 says he has the clip installed.---:D

However it made me wonder if, for some reason, it wasn't really done up tight.---:shrug: