The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover P6 Estate (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309491)

Bogbrush82 26th November 2020 13:08

Rover P6 Estate

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-350...4AAOSw-ktfu9j8

Never seen one of these before.

FLYING BANANA 26th November 2020 13:41

Beautiful. Seen a few of these at various shows. Good price as well.

Tam 26th November 2020 14:57

All info here.

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rove...-p6-five-door/

wraymond 26th November 2020 15:07

I've seen a few of these in my days of (many years ago) P6 Owners Club. The text is, however, slightly at odds.

It's not a manual, it's automatic. So far as I know the only manuals were factory derivatives and known as P6B and the steering wheel was a 'Sports' version. That makes me think it is a non-factory conversion.

A clue lies in the colour of the rear wings. The paint is different and appears much later, a nice job but it's being sold as an apparent original. In addition the under-bonnet pics show rather different tubings. Maybe it is original, I'm far from expert, but I'd need convincing. Then of course, the price! Is the base model worth the cost of private conversion? It looks a very nice job though.

It just might be the work of the same brilliant engineer that made a drop-head coupe P6 some years ago. I have pics of that somewhere that I took at a rally (that's what 'meets' were called then) at Hever Castle and that was a superb job.

RallymanGAFC 26th November 2020 15:12

Classic Britain Youtuber has two P6 estates as well as a saloon (or two). He's based down in Cornwall from memory. Not bad watch, but bit too colourful with language for me.

kelvo 26th November 2020 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2850548)
I've seen a few of these in my days of (many years ago) P6 Owners Club. The text is, however, slightly at odds.

It's not a manual, it's automatic. So far as I know the only manuals were factory derivatives and known as P6B and the steering wheel was a 'Sports' version. That makes me think it is a non-factory conversion.

A clue lies in the colour of the rear wings. The paint is different and appears much later, a nice job but it's being sold as an apparent original. In addition the under-bonnet pics show rather different tubings. Maybe it is original, I'm far from expert, but I'd need convincing. Then of course, the price! Is the base model worth the cost of private conversion? It looks a very nice job though.

It just might be the work of the same brilliant engineer that made a drop-head coupe P6 some years ago. I have pics of that somewhere that I took at a rally (that's what 'meets' were called then) at Hever Castle and that was a superb job.

Always find it odd that a dealer can list it as a manual when it is quite clearly automatic. The only manual, I think, was the 3500S with a 4-speed box and a different steering wheel.

It looks nice enough, although not sure what is going on with the shut lines on the drivers' door, bonnet and front wing? Trouble is all the external panels are purely cosmetic so you really need to pay attention to the space frame they are actually bolted to.

COLVERT 26th November 2020 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvo (Post 2850565)
Always find it odd that a dealer can list it as a manual when it is quite clearly automatic. The only manual, I think, was the 3500S with a 4-speed box and a different steering wheel.

It looks nice enough, although not sure what is going on with the shut lines on the drivers' door, bonnet and front wing? Trouble is all the external panels are purely cosmetic so you really need to pay attention to the space frame they are actually bolted to.

Manual/ auto---??????????

It makes one VERY suspicious that the vendor doesn't know the difference.---What else is not fact but fiction ??--:shrug:

wraymond 26th November 2020 17:19

They don't necessarily know a lot about history John. Just money. And some of them don't give a tinker's cuss about anything else.

The text in the advert doesn't give any stats about the number of MOT fails (rust) compared to the straight saloon either! I had 8 of those blessed cars over 20 years, one of them pictured on the membership card no less.

That was in the days when I could actually change the rear brake pads without too much trouble. Had to cut an access panel into the boot floor though!

The only other problem I had was the vapour lock in the fuel feed from the reserve valve to the pump. Sorted that by a length of rubber hose cladding cut in a spiral (to got around the bends) up to the pump. Wonderful cars though.

snowman 26th November 2020 18:29

On the not history it was last moted in 2012 and it just says it's an rover 3500 no mention of estate not a bad history very little needed doing