The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   No internet! Oh yes there is. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309914)

Steamdrivenandy 16th December 2020 19:48

No internet! Oh yes there is.

The discussion on BT packages etc has reminded me of a problem we have in SDA Towers. We have FTTC and the cabinet is only about 50 yds down the road. On my desktop, tablet and phone there's rarely any loss of service and the speeds are fine.

On the other hand Mrs SDA uses a laptop, tablet and phone and is forever crying out in frustration that 'there's no internet'. I check whatever I'm working with at the same time and all is fine. I check the router and all is OK. A few seconds later she'll call out that it's OK and the wifi is working again.

So why do Mrs SDA's devices have problems and mine work fine. What common issue could affect her kit but not affect mine?

Rogue 16th December 2020 21:06

Are both wireless and where is the router located compared to equipment?

Steamdrivenandy 17th December 2020 07:16

The router is in the study with ethernet connection to my desktop but we can both be using tablets or phones in, say, the lounge and mine will be working fine but the cry of 'no internet' will be heard from Mrs SDA just 5ft away across the room. In fact I often used my tablet or phone outside in the garden up to about 10ft from the house and still had excellent service.

Rogue 17th December 2020 09:49

Is she using any specific apps when this occurs?

Might also be worth downloading a signal strength and quality meter app and check what sort of signal you are getting. I have come across dead spots in customer homes that can be quite discrete with no issues close by. Is also worth noting that wireless receivers in different devices can have differing requirements with regards to signal strength and quality to maintain a connection.

If you do see any significant areas where the signal drops off it might be worth considering something like a TP Link wireless hotspot.

Steamdrivenandy 17th December 2020 10:03

We used to use an extender in our previous house but there were similar problems even with that. We downsized in August and I haven't bothered installing it here because the signal from the router seems so strong everywhere.

It doesn't seem to be a signal strength problem, more relatively frequent drop outs on all three of her devices. I hadn't thought to ask which programs/apps she's using when it occurs.

Rogue 17th December 2020 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamdrivenandy (Post 2854441)
I hadn't thought to ask which programs/apps she's using when it occurs.

It's always worth investigating anything that is common to the issue especially if it was occuring in your last property too. I would still suggest checking the strength of the signal if it tends to happen in one area.

Georgies Dad 17th December 2020 14:11

When I have had problems with wireless conections I put the device in aeroplane mode for 60 secs,then put it back to normal that seems to cure it

Nick Greg 17th December 2020 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgies Dad (Post 2854471)
When I have had problems with wireless conections I put the device in aeroplane mode for 60 secs,then put it back to normal that seems to cure it

Is aeroplane mode where you chuck it in the air out of frustration?