The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   E-10 ethanol/Petrol (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315030)

bl52krz 31st August 2021 21:56

E-10 ethanol/Petrol

Just had a look at the flashpoint of these two liquids.Flash point of petrol= -45F. Flashpoint of Ethanol = over 60 degrees.Wonder what effect this will have on the starting ability of our motors will be in a really cold winter? My guess is that it will take longer, and if your battery is not in tip top condition, perhaps not atall. On the other hand, will this mean that our engines will run cooler? Can not wait to find out.Filled mine up today with half a tank of the E10 because my tank was half full with E5. Does that make it E7.5?

clf 31st August 2021 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2898022)
Just had a look at the flashpoint of these two liquids.Flash point of petrol= -45F. Flashpoint of Ethanol = over 60 degrees.Wonder what effect this will have on the starting ability of our motors will be in a really cold winter? My guess is that it will take longer, and if your battery is not in tip top condition, perhaps not atall. On the other hand, will this mean that our engines will run cooler? Can not wait to find out.Filled mine up today with half a tank of the E10 because my tank was half full with E5. Does that make it E7.5?

I dont think it would matter. Since it is 10% the flash point is not going to be raised that much. The initial spark will still create the source of ignition. (flash point is irrelevant without a source of ignition and compression?, auto ignition from what I gather would be more along the lines of your concern - which would be considerably higher than -45F etc or else petrol stations would be blowing up all over the place lol).

Quality spark plugs, air flow, combustion chambers in good condition will be as important as the battery being in good fettle.

From what I have read (albeit briefly), the major concern for E10 is more related to the seals and pipework, rather than any running issue.

As for it being 7.5, yes I believe it would be something like that lol.

macafee2 1st September 2021 07:55

I thought petrol stations were going to have a pump and fuel for the older cars

macafee2

steve-45 1st September 2021 07:58

Now on my 3rd tank of E10, Morrissons started selling it a couple of weeks ago, and have found no degradation in MPG or performance - but it’s never had much of that anyway.
This is in my run around Diahatsu, as my 75 is a diesel.

steve-45 1st September 2021 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2898053)
I thought petrol stations were going to have a pump and fuel for the older cars

macafee2

Not noticed any E5 pumps at my local supermarkets.

the dutch guy 1st September 2021 08:23

E10 is the only stuff near me. It runs fine on it. But once in a while i go to my semi local german aral that has 102, it runs a lot smoother on that stuff. But its too expensive to daily drive on it. MPG is already non existant with a kv6 tourer with a auto box and its not like you get more power from it...

another_clean_sheet 1st September 2021 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2898055)
Not noticed any E5 pumps at my local supermarkets.

Have they not got a super unleaded pump as that is E5? The 2 nearest Tescos to me have.

Fusilier 1st September 2021 13:03

E10

and of course the current E5 will go up by about £0.12 a litre, so around £8.40 a tank extra

Stu

FLYING BANANA 1st September 2021 13:49

I just paid £1.45 per litre for the super unleaded going into the Bear. Being a Saltash resident we get a community card which gives us 5p a litre off.

As for the E10, I topped up Banana’s tank, about half, and so far the handbrake has seized on, and yesterday she wouldn’t start. Had the AA out for both issues. Don’t think they are related to the E10 though.

StewartIngram 1st September 2021 16:58

Where did I read the good news about E10? Was a thread on here, or an email (possibly from DMGS?).
It was in the last couple of weeks I'm sure. Basically someone knew the designer/team leader or whatever at Rover. Apparently Rover was ahead of the game and designed the 75 (and possibly other models) to run on E10, as it was a fuel available abroad at that time.
I'd like to take a copy of this comment to my local garage as they are interested in this, but I've searched and can't find it.

Stewart