The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Engine High Temperature Warning (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=325542)

Tenesmus 12th September 2023 13:21

Engine High Temperature Warning

5 minutes into my drive home I realised the temperature gauge was at 12 o'clock, the red light on and the "High Temperature" message. A few seconds later the message disappeared and the gauge dropped instantly to normal 9 o'clock, and stayed there for the rest of the journey, about 15 minutes.

A blip? The initial signs of a failing thermostat? Any ideas?

Yorkshire GOC 12th September 2023 14:18

My first thought would be an airlock following such an incident:shrug:

Tenesmus 12th September 2023 14:45

I've just remembered there was a bang or pop seconds before I saw the warning. I assumed it was something falling out a tree onto the roof, but could it be connected?

Yorkshire GOC 12th September 2023 15:53

When she is cool see what the coolant level looks like in the expansion tank - is it normal ?

Tenesmus 12th September 2023 16:30

A slight hiss and no sign of any coolant through the top (you can't see anything through the side where the min max is, which means there's nothing there or the plastic is too opaque to see if there is).

trikey 12th September 2023 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenesmus (Post 2978467)
A slight hiss and no sign of any coolant through the top (you can't see anything through the side where the min max is, which means there's nothing there or the plastic is too opaque to see if there is).

Look straight down into the tank when the lid is off, you can see the max setting, it's a lot lower than most folk think.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

bl52krz 12th September 2023 19:12

Like Trikey says, look at the bottom of the header tank, with the cap off. You will see some ‘fins’ at the bottom. The water should just be above the bottom of the fins. The bottom, NOT at the top of the fins.

SD1too 13th September 2023 07:13

Coolant level: clarification

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2978473)
The water should just be above the bottom of the fins. The bottom, NOT at the top of the fins.

Maintaining the correct coolant level couldn't be simpler and it doesn't involve the fins! ;)
  1. When the engine is stone cold remove the expansion tank cap
  2. Top-up the coolant until it covers the tab marked MIN and just reaches, but does not obliterate, the tab marked MAX.
  3. Refit the expansion tank cap. Do not over-tighten it.
In the past, references to the fins have misled owners into overfilling the cooling system, experiencing coolant ejection and then panicking about head gasket failure. :o The MIN and MAX markings are the only guide that is necessary.

Tenesmus; you've indicated that your expansion tank is empty. You need to fill it to the MAX marker and urgently investigate the reason for the coolant loss. Begin by checking inside the 'V'.

Simon

Tenesmus 13th September 2023 23:12

Thanks chaps. I haven't had a chance to do anything except top it up to just above the MIN (didn't take much) and put the container in the boot.

I'll be disappointed if it's the thermostat (assuming that's why you mentioned checking in the V), it's already been replaced twice.

Tenesmus 14th September 2023 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2978503)
Tenesmus; you've indicated that your expansion tank is empty. You need to fill it to the MAX marker and urgently investigate the reason for the coolant loss. Begin by checking inside the 'V'.

Simon

Give the man a cigar. With the help of a bright torch you can clearly see the colourful puddles. Thanks for the help.

I had one replaced in 2016, the next in 2020, now it'll be another. Fortunately they are pretty cheap.