The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How to carry out a load test? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310348)

macafee2 7th January 2021 12:41

How to carry out a load test?

I would like to see what amperage I can get at the 13 pin socket of my cars towing electrics. I can measure voltage but don't knowingly know how to test amperage without plugging something into the socket and I don't want to plug the caravan in. I may have known and simply forgotten how, so could find myself being embarrassed.
The fuse is 20 amps and would like to get perhaps 12A.

Can you tell me how?

macafee2

SD1too 7th January 2021 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2858265)
... I can measure voltage but don't knowingly know how to test amperage without plugging something into the socket ... Can you tell me how?

Hello Ian,

I'm afraid it's not possible. The available current will depend upon the alternator's output (and whatever other equipment is operating at the time) but 12 amps shouldn't be a problem. :D

Simon

macafee2 7th January 2021 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2858271)
Hello Ian,

I'm afraid it's not possible. The available current will depend upon the alternator's output (and whatever other equipment is operating at the time) but 12 amps shouldn't be a problem. :D

Simon

Thanks Simon, is there an easy way to create 8-12amp load, in 1 amp steps?

macafee2

SD1too 7th January 2021 13:28

Hi Ian,

Is it the 13 pin towing socket that you're worried about? Do you want to be sure that the wiring can carry 12 amps?

Two car headlamp bulbs connected in parallel with draw just over 8 amps; a single one 4 amps. That's about as easy as it gets! :}

Simon

macafee2 7th January 2021 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2858282)
Hi Ian,

Is it the 13 pin towing socket that you're worried about? Do you want to be sure that the wiring can carry 12 amps?

Two car headlamp bulbs connected in parallel with draw just over 8 amps; a single one 4 amps. That's about as easy as it gets! :}

Simon

cheers Simon, I can do 4 amps, I have a headlight with some wires on for testing, thank you. If it melts, it cant carry 12 amps :)

macafee2

T-Cut 7th January 2021 20:39

You don't really need to set up any practical experiments to answer your question on the suitability of your caravan connector wiring. Standard auto electrical cables/insulated wires have current ratings directly related to their thickness/cross sectional area. A simple Google search will provide lots of info that will indicate what size wire you need for what ampage and any associated factors.
Click: https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...4dUDCAg&uact=5

EDIT: Of course you'll need a vernier caliper of some kind to measure the wire size.

TC

COLVERT 7th January 2021 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2858282)
Hi Ian,

Simon

Watts divided by volts gives you amps.

60 watts---main beam divided by volts---12 -- gives you 5 amps.

Two headlights==10 amps.

As T-Cut says you can look up the gauge of wire and its carrying capacity on Google.

macafee2 7th January 2021 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2858355)
You don't really need to set up any practical experiments to answer your question on the suitability of your caravan connector wiring. Standard auto electrical cables/insulated wires have current ratings directly related to their thickness/cross sectional area. A simple Google search will provide lots of info that will indicate what size wire you need for what ampage and any associated factors.
Click: https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...4dUDCAg&uact=5

EDIT: Of course you'll need a vernier caliper of some kind to measure the wire size.

TC

Wiring is already in. On a caravan forum, it has been said that sometimes there is not enough power getting to the caravan fridge when being towed to keep the fridge cold. I was curious to know how my car was doing. This may be a problem of smart alternators of which our cars do not have.

macafee2

COLVERT 7th January 2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2858359)
Wiring is already in. On a caravan forum, it has been said that sometimes there is not enough power getting to the caravan fridge when being towed to keep the fridge cold. I was curious to know how my car was doing. This may be a problem of smart alternators of which our cars do not have.

macafee2

If the wiring can't supply the demand of the fridge then it's not heavy duty enough. Also it will start to get HOT.---:shocked::shocked::shocked:

rovertone 7th January 2021 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2858359)

macafee2

It's been 2 years now since I last hooked my van up, when i did I found that the fridge didn't work on 12v you could just hear a clicking behind the fridge (relay?). I had fitted a new alternator so assumed this had caused a change in power supply and I was given to understand that the towbar electrics should have a relay fitted that is adjustable to compensate for any power difference. I haven't sorted the problem because of lack of use and will likely sell the van in the spring so might not get to the bottom of the issue.
This of course may be a completely different issue to what you are trying to resolve but thought I'd throw it in just in case it has any relevance.