The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cruise control master switch not lighting up (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=304052)

starway 5th April 2020 14:31

Cruise control master switch not lighting up

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my 2003 cdti Mk 1
I was messing around with the console area and removed everything including the cruise.control button. Upon reconnecting it doesn't light anymore. The button used to work perfectly and cruise.control was working perfectly for over 8 years. Can anyone tell me what to test? Can I probe the wires going to the cruise control switch with a multimeter to check it ? I tried but couldnt fit a multimeter in the socket to check? How can I test if its somehow the switch which has broken in the process of removing the wires. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing it? I would appreciate any help. I have searched the forums but I couldnt find any problems to do with the masted switch not lighting up when pressed. Most people say this switch lights up but then have other problems ?

Please help

Thanks

James

clf 5th April 2020 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by starway (Post 2803851)
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my 2003 cdti Mk 1
I was messing around with the console area and removed everything including the cruise.control button. Upon reconnecting it doesn't light anymore. The button used to work perfectly and cruise.control was working perfectly for over 8 years. Can anyone tell me what to test? Can I probe the wires going to the cruise control switch with a multimeter to check it ? I tried but couldnt fit a multimeter in the socket to check? How can I test if its somehow the switch which has broken in the process of removing the wires. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing it? I would appreciate any help. I have searched the forums but I couldnt find any problems to do with the masted switch not lighting up when pressed. Most people say this switch lights up but then have other problems ?

Please help

Thanks

James

My own plays up, sometimes not activating when switched on (the entire switch). I think the something within has become loose or moved, and it needs to be dismantled and rebuilt.

Try first unplugging and plugging it back in, making sure the plug is securely seated.

The switch can be taken apart, although I doubt the led has packed up.

Mike Noc 5th April 2020 17:21

If you have an ABS fault from the NSF wheel sensor it will disable the cruise master switch.

COLVERT 5th April 2020 18:34

Welcome to the forum James. Your first post in EIGHT years.---:eek:

I hope the above posts have helped you solve your problem.

Rick-sta 5th April 2020 18:38

does any lighting work on the switch at all? is the backlighting work when you switch your sidelights on?

One thing to check is if you've plugged the correct plug into the cruise control switch. I had a car here some time ago where the cruise had never worked whilst the current owner had owned it, and turned out there was 2 identical square black plugs behind the centre console, one was for cruise and I think the other one was for traffic master or something like that, and at some point the wrong plug had been plugged into the cruise control switch.

starway 6th April 2020 10:35

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies and I know 8 years is shocking right, truth is I’ve had nothing to contribute as I have been learning about the car all this time. Although this forum has saved my car on numerous occasions so thanks everyone !

I have found only one black connector at the back that would fit it can’t see another one. I have had the whole console out. I don’t know if I have an abs fault ? There is no warning or light on the dash? I have had the cruise switch in and out many times to see and it feels perfectly connected but doesn’t light up.

I haven’t actually tried the cruise control if it’s working though so I may do that soon. I just know that the illumination on the switch doesn’t work. But I’m presuming the actually switch is not working and not just the led as all the backlights on my other instruments and switches work !

Now I have done some mods which involve using the side light wire that runs throughout the car the red and creme one that deals with illumination and side lights. I have spliced that at many points to connect led lights but that’s the only mod really with the wires. And the sidelights and illumination still work perfectly.

Is there any checks I can do with a multi metre or could anyone specify the colours so the wires going to the master switch ? Do you think a good idea would be to buy another switch to see ?

Thanks for your responses guys

Much appreciated

Thanks

James

starway 6th April 2020 12:40

Cruise light

Does the cruise switch illuminate like the rest of the instruments or only a green led when it’s on. I can only remember seeing a green led next to it when it’s on ?

starway 7th April 2020 19:09

Cruise control wiring

Hi can anyone tell me the cruise control colour wires that go to the main switch ? To make sure I have the right wire going to the cruise control master switch. Mine seems to have a thick green wire that no one else has mentioned when I have been searching.

This is the 6 pin wire I’m talking about, the one that goes to the back of the switch.

starway 7th April 2020 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2803894)
does any lighting work on the switch at all? is the backlighting work when you switch your sidelights on?

One thing to check is if you've plugged the correct plug into the cruise control switch. I had a car here some time ago where the cruise had never worked whilst the current owner had owned it, and turned out there was 2 identical square black plugs behind the centre console, one was for cruise and I think the other one was for traffic master or something like that, and at some point the wrong plug had been plugged into the cruise control switch.

Hi,

I checked the switch with the sidelights and it does not illuminate with them.

Thanks

Rick-sta 7th April 2020 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by starway (Post 2804066)
Does the cruise switch illuminate like the rest of the instruments or only a green led when it’s on. I can only remember seeing a green led next to it when it’s on ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by starway (Post 2804446)
Hi can anyone tell me the cruise control colour wires that go to the main switch ? To make sure I have the right wire going to the cruise control master switch. Mine seems to have a thick green wire that no one else has mentioned when I have been searching.

This is the 6 pin wire I’m talking about, the one that goes to the back of the switch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starway (Post 2804448)
Hi,

I checked the switch with the sidelights and it does not illuminate with them.

Thanks

The amber backlight on the cruise control switch should illuminate whenever your sidelights are on. When you press the cruise control switch the green indicator LED on the switch will illuminate to indicate that cruise is enabled.

The wires for the cruise control master switch plug are:

Pin 1: white/blue wire (goes to the interior fuse box - fuse 26 - worth checking just in case it's blown)
Pin 2: red/white wire sidelight circuit. This is for the amber illumination on the switch
pin 3: black (earth)
pin 5: blue/orange (goes to the cruise control ECU)

Since your switch is not lighting up at all, I would check the pins on the plug for the switch to ensure none are bent.

It could be the pins on the little black switch inside may have a bad connection, this is something I have to check when I reassemble the center console switches after doing LED colour conversions. You can carefully take the switch apart to access the little black switch, the black switch just pulls off and there are 4 small pins. Push these little pins outwards a tiny bit and then refit to the switch and test it.

I think there's a connection issue at the plug for your cruise control switch, as you say the amber backlighting and the green indicator LED both don't work.