The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Mac internet security & anti-virus software (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303798)

Gate Keeper 25th March 2020 12:47

Mac internet security & anti-virus software

My current McAfee antivirus software is valid for 10 devices and due to run out in 3 days time. I stopped the renewal package, as it wanted to take £65 and that was for a deal reduced from £89. First time buyers, can get the same deal for £25.

What do other members use for their Mac devices?

Thank you very much.

MissMoppet 25th March 2020 21:20

I've used FREE Avast anti-virus for some years and always found it excellent. Although I use Win 10 and XP on my PCand laptop it does say it works for Mac. Have never liked MacAfee or Kaspersky which locked up my PC.

Gate Keeper 26th March 2020 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2801491)
I've used FREE Avast anti-virus for some years and always found it excellent. Although I use Win 10 and XP on my PCand laptop it does say it works for Mac. Have never liked MacAfee or Kaspersky which locked up my PC.

Thank you very much for stepping up with a solution. I like the Avast interface, easy on the eye and it’s not resource hungry. I will give it a whirl. Kapersky sales were down by 8% last year became of its links with Russia and the associated security concerns.

reworht 26th March 2020 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2801371)
My current McAfee antivirus software is valid for 10 devices and due to run out in 3 days time. I stopped the renewal package, as it wanted to take £65 and that was for a deal reduced from £89. First time buyers, can get the same deal for £25.

What do other members use for their Mac devices?

Thank you very much.

Although it's a few years since I worked, we always ran AVG (purchased version rather than FOC one) on our Macs (running Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator etc.) - we did try Norton but it got so memory hungry we binned it.

Gate Keeper 27th March 2020 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by reworht (Post 2801573)
Although it's a few years since I worked, we always ran AVG (purchased version rather than FOC one) on our Macs (running Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator etc.) - we did try Norton but it got so memory hungry we binned it.

Thank you Rod, I have used AVG and I found it was easy to use. Currently £74.99 for 10 devices.

another_clean_sheet 27th March 2020 08:28

When Which tested anti virus software the free ones were as good as the paid for ones. Their top free ones were Avira (84%), Avast (82%) and AVG (77%).
I use AVG and it works fine for me.
The paid for ones have more bells and whistles but at the end of the day you just do not want your computer compromised.

vitesse 27th March 2020 16:31

Have used Mac since about 1995 and for the first couple of years used Norton anti-virus, but by about 1998 the threat level was minimal. So since 1998 I have not had any anti-virus software, my daughter's family have more Mac products than the average Apple Store - same again no anti-virus. Oh yes, we've got our iPhones too - anyone got any anti-virus on iPhones?

Regards

janker 30th March 2020 21:38

I use Free panda antivirus which i have put on many computers and always works well,I used to use AVG until they kept trying upgrade me all the time.

COLVERT 30th March 2020 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by janker (Post 2802567)
I use Free panda antivirus which i have put on many computers and always works well,I used to use AVG until they kept trying upgrade me all the time.

I ignore the--Please Update Me---info.---:D

But have now used AVG free for years with no problems.