The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plenum Check - The Reason Why **ALL OWNERS PLEASE NOTE** (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125864)

First_damned 27th January 2014 22:12

Good news your lucky

baswales 2nd February 2014 16:03

hi is there one each side or only n/s / thanks

Pauly 2nd February 2014 18:55

Just done mine again, as it was a nice day.. while looking though the old paper work supplied when we got the car., found a slip for a new ECU cost £1007.00 guullppp, inculding sort things out....
Found dry leaves in mine.... hopefully all ok
Paul

HarryM1BYT 2nd February 2014 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by baswales (Post 1561917)
hi is there one each side or only n/s / thanks

Early cars had 4 drains. one in each side at the bottom, one at each side on a step below the bonnet hinge. Later cars had the drivers side one on the step omitted. Some early cars had a low partition between the two sides, so it was essential to ensure both drains worked well. Later ones could at least drain via one of the two, but obviously not good relying on one being clear.

Graemekinghorn 3rd February 2014 08:31

Well that was disaster everted!!
Just checked the plenum there on my Tourer. Which I have had for 2 weeks.
Removed the scuttle panel as shown and had a look.
Sure enough there was at least an inch of water in there!! Rodded the hole and it is now running clear!
Many thanks for posting your thread. Could have been a very costly mistake! :duh:

Arctic 3rd February 2014 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graemekinghorn (Post 1562741)
Sure enough there was at least an inch of water in there!! Rodded the hole and it is now running clear!
Many thanks for posting your thread. Could have been a very costly mistake! :duh:

Hi Graeme.
Welcome and excellent the forum is already starting to be your best friend well worth joining cheers Arctic;)

HarryM1BYT 3rd February 2014 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graemekinghorn (Post 1562741)

Never assume because the water is below the ECU, that it has never got to the ECU. Under heavy rainfall a restricted drain might well allow it to rise much higher. If in any doubt, check the ECU itself for signs of water.

The priority job on any 75 is to check those drains as soon as you get it.

rosephus 4th February 2014 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 1563001)
Never assume because the water is below the ECU, that it has never got to the ECU. Under heavy rainfall a restricted drain might well allow it to rise much higher. If in any doubt, check the ECU itself for signs of water.

The priority job on any 75 is to check those drains as soon as you get it.

well said. i checked my plennums the week after getting my ZT and the water was an inch up the pollen filter.

however, when replacing the pollen filter on sunday i realised the ECU is housed in a plastic box that protects it from the outside world. its not water tight by any means.

its not going to protect it from everything, especially if you have a lot of water in there sloshing around in the plennum void but if you get to the blocked plennum quickly enough like i did you should be ok.

Amac 8th February 2014 12:58

Well, just rodded my own 75 that I have had for a week now. Just as well I did really, as there was a shoal of fish living happily in the plenum chamber. They must have been feeding on all the **** from the pollen filter which looks like it hasn't been changed for several hundred years at least!

Thanks for the advice gents.

Andy

themightyrod 10th February 2014 21:46

Thank god for this forum! I've had my ZT for over two weeks and have finally had time to really read the forums. I couldn't believe how much water was in there! The pollen filter seems screwed - black and a tide mark over half way - hopefully I got to it in time. Is it safe to assume (dangerous I know) that if the car works, then it's okay?

I need to clean the drain properly this weekend to make sure it's squeaky clean so will take a pic.

Thank you for the excellent advice – you guys rock!