The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Locking wheel nut (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311984)

JohnnyBG 27th March 2021 14:46

Locking wheel nut

My "locking" wheel nuts are like ordinary ones but with a hollow, splined, recess. There's a bolt, hex at on end and externally splined on the other. Slot it in and use your wheel brace/ torque wrench.

It the spilnes on the adaptor nut appear to be so worn I can't undo the wheel bolt.

A new adaptor maybe would do the trick, otherwise I reckon it'll need the head drill off the wheel bolt.

Good luck with that, I hear you say. So I'm sat next to the 75, fitted Arctic's compensator but can't adjust the handbrake at the wheels.

Help.

Johnny

suzublu 27th March 2021 14:54

Sounds like you need a no.12 locking bolt:cool: If and when you loosen them off, throw them away and fit normal bolts.:cool:
Even on Teeside they don't nick wheels anymore:D

Ducati750cc 27th March 2021 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2873620)
Sounds like you need a no.12 locking bolt:cool: If and when you loosen them off, throw them away and fit normal bolts.:cool:
Even on Teeside they don't nick wheels anymore:D

More money to be made out of nicking cats these days, quicker and quieter and lighter to carry.

But sometimes this happens.

An employee at an Anaheim industrial building arrived to work Wednesday about 6:20 a.m. and discovered a man’s legs sticking out from underneath a company car, said Anaheim Police Sgt. Shane Carringer.
Based on the tools with him and his position under the car, first responders concluded he had been trying to detach the catalytic converter from the Toyota Prius, Carringer said.

Ohh dear. :}

JohnnyBG 27th March 2021 17:43

Thanks, I did see a number 12 0n the back of it but didn't comprehend. I'd been out in the cold for too long by then.

Handbrake is now working although not top notch and adjusted incorrectly by simply winding up the nut at the lever. I will certainly throw the lot away once I get the one off - I just hope that the superior strength of the wheel bolts means that the splines are still OK.

£20 of Fleabay

JohnnyBG

suzublu 27th March 2021 18:37

You can get at the adjuster inside the drum by removing one wheel nut, look through the hole at about 2 o.clock position for the cog, and wind accordingly, whichever way yours is:cool:

bsafly 27th March 2021 18:39

I have a spare number 12 key you can have if you want, just pm me your address and I will pop it in the post for you.

Arctic 27th March 2021 20:18

John a set of these would of helped if you had them ;) great for rounded off nuts or bolts, and wheel bolts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Locking-W...72.m2749.l2649

JohnnyBG 30th March 2021 19:46

"I have a spare number 12 key you can have if you want, just pm me your address and I will pop it in the post for you."

Unfortunately I'd already order the replacement. It arrived today, very nice, well made but the bolt's internal plines are too far gone. Worked nicely on the other two splined bolt heads. Why only two, you say?

Apparently when last in the workshop the lads must've had a similar problem, just about got the splined head bolt out and threw it away and fitted a standard bolt! Wish they'd mentioned it.

Arctic - thanks but wouldn't do this situation, there's no room to get anything on the head and it's round from what I can see.

JohnnyBG

sewerman 30th March 2021 20:51

As has been said the handbrake can be adjusted through a wheel bolt hole.

I had this issue with worn bolt splines, went to the local scrappy and they got it out for a tenner. They had a box of splined locking nuts from various cars and hammered one in and off it came with a 2ft breaker bar .

The other time I went to a local indie tyre place and again for a tenner they got it out out with a bolt removal kit

JohnnyBG 31st March 2021 18:41

Thanks for the comments.

I just need to get four standard wheel bolts so I can replace all the bolts them all once this one is out. The one the workshop lads put in doesn't match the other standard wheel bolts, the one they put in also has a cavity in the head but a standard external hex.

Cheers

JohnnyBG

DMGRS has some new at £2.79 ea - problem solved.