The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover - 8th most reliable car manufacturer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300653)

BigAde 9th November 2019 09:43

Rover - 8th most reliable car manufacturer

Not my opinion, but based on statistics from car warranty providers. I've been watching the index for a few years and it's interesting to note that Rover have climbed up the ratings in recent years beating some names that claim to be ultra reliable. Interesting reading anyway.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Rover :D

jonc3725 9th November 2019 10:01

It's always been known that Honda and Toyota build quality, reliability and Longevity have been good but I do query the survey a bit.

Surely manufacturers who are still trading that move more units will have more issues particularly those cars that cover huge miles being company cars etc.

Rover haven't built a car for how long and because of the age of the cars are they still workhorses in the majority.

Not being argumentative just an observation as we all know the R75)ZT was one of the best kept secrets in the road:bowdown::D

mileshawk56 9th November 2019 12:10

They consider "cost" and "time taken for repair" - which I would not consider relevant factors. Chris.S.

BigAde 9th November 2019 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mileshawk56 (Post 2774362)
They consider "cost" and "time taken for repair" - which I would not consider relevant factors. Chris.S.

They're relevant if you're the one paying the bill. :D

Olde faithful 9th November 2019 13:33

The cost of a new car over depreciation is one of those things new cars sales do not want to talk about, i just bought a brand new car, to sit alongside my Rover 75 and although i love my new car.

i hardly ever drive it, i prefer the Rover 75! truly
The cost of keeping her on the road his higher , but is it really?

recently i have spent on my Rover 75, a car worth tops £900, i have bought a new entire clutch system and fitted £630, tracking and two new tyres £230 so theres £860 on its own without, tax £200, INSURANCE £270, service £225, and some minor repairs totaling £600, so far this year the olde dog has cost me around £2500.

however some of these are future proofing jobs i wanted doing. However as much as £2500 for a years motoring sounds dear for a car worth £1000 is it really? NO, because dividing that by a year is only £200 per month approx

what executive car can you get for £200 pm, plus at £600 per month depreciation loss on top? thats over £800/850 per month losses on a brand new car, when my Rover will cost £2500 all year, zero depreciation cost and over time goes back up.

I sometimes wish i never bought my new car, losing that kind of money per month, however has taught me, not to bother in the future, for a new one set aside a budget for the olde dog and keep her running, the main fact is after 316000 miles not once has she broke down , she keeps on rolling my mighty R75, high maintenance it seems is not so true.... when you factor in depreciation losses, which are huge costs. the car starts sub zero temperatures or hot days, what the hell do we need shinny new reg or reliable motors that run and run?

old car every time and i have a 69 plate car on the drive too. ROVER "in a class of its own" so true
so while the surveys look great these are pretty new cars Rover cars are at least 14 years old so amazing in the top 8, fantastic!

SideValve 9th November 2019 17:48

Yep - just been thinking of going electric but, after doing the figures, even though I'd save a lots of fuel & tax costs the depreciation would more than outweigh it until the EV was probably 10 years old. And how good would a 10 year old electric car be? On the other hand, in ten years will there be much petrol about and at what cost?

Regarding the reliability index - its based on aftermarket warranty claims so I expect the Rover figures are out of date as I cant believe many people buying a Rover now would take out a warranty. Still interesting to see how they compare against modern cars. Four years ago my then boss wanted me to have an Audi company car instead of paying a car allowance for my car. He questioned the Rover's reliability so I pointed him to the site :¬)

Comfortably Numb 9th November 2019 20:56

It appears that the more exotic your car the less reliable it is, or do you just complain more about the slightest thing if you have an expensive car? A friend has just sold his Maserati and bought a Ford Ranger.

Olde faithful 9th November 2019 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb (Post 2774496)
It appears that the more exotic your car the less reliable it is, or do you just complain more about the slightest thing if you have an expensive car? A friend has just sold his Maserati and bought a Ford Ranger.

CN I think you are right high end cars are NO WORSE!! just the customers are more fussy, that is SO TRUE

BigAde 9th November 2019 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb (Post 2774496)

The index takes into account the cost of repairs, not just how frequently it breaks down. So if the clutch fails on two cars only once in 10 years, a £500 bill for say a Ford Fiesta replacement (parts and labour) is going to compare more favourably than a Maserati Quattroformaggio at say £2,000.

SCP440 10th November 2019 12:23

Some cars come out better because of the warranty and or the main dealers. If you buy a car with a 7 year warranty it is unlikely to appear in one of these tables because by the time it is 8 years old nobody is going to go to the expense of a warranty. Also some manufacturers seem to do better than others with warranty claims. JLR are terrible not only in there response but once they have the car they do the minimum to get the car out again where as a lot of the Japanese manufacturers will do a lot more and in some cases wont let the owner have the car back until they are 100% happy with it.

If you are not sure about the reliability of a model of car go on line and see what it will cost to extend the warranty by an independent company, the lower the cost in a lot of cases means they have had little or no trouble with them. You will be amazed at how badly some cars fare including some Japanese and German models.