The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Reverse switch location? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305225)

75driver 28th May 2020 20:28

Reverse switch location?

I got me self another cdti saloon auto (primertallic, to match the other 2), last Sunday. Couldn’t resist it🙄.
But, because I work away from home, I haven’t had the chance to go over it in much detail.
Before purchase, I noticed that the led at the gear stick doesn’t light up for reverse gear.
Is there a switch I can check for operation?
Reversing sensors also don’t work, so I wonder if it’s related to a faulty reverse switch.
There are a few more issues, but I’ll mention in a separate thread to avoid confusion. Ta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickyboy 29th May 2020 18:16

Have you checked to see if the reverse lights come on when it’s placed in reverse, if they don’t then the likely culprit will be the reverse switch on the box.
Mick

BRMFUN 29th May 2020 18:46

Does this help? https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=275503

75driver 29th May 2020 21:26

Thank for the pointers.
When I got home from work I got a look at it. The light bulb on the dash was lit, so checked that and the rear tail light bulb was out, bringing on the break light.
Tried cleaning the multi plug, but noticed that jiggling the wires to the multiplug would make either or both tail and break light come on.
Someone has put in a tow bar, and joined into the light cluster with those scotch lock connectors. So that’s some wiring to be redone.😣
Couldn’t check the reverse lights tonight as I was on me own, but at one point, I did notice the “P” on the gear selector fully lit up. Now it’s just dimly lit, so I guess a poor connection somewhere.
Also removed an aftermarket stereo that didn’t work, as I suspected it may have been linked to wipers coming on when engine switched off. Wiper problem sorted, so just need to replace the radio now.🙄

trikey 29th May 2020 21:29

Scotchlok - YUK!

Solder the connections properly and ill bet your issues go away.

genpk 30th May 2020 00:20

could possibly be the gear selector actuator switch on top of the auto gearbox if its an auto. Can take it apart and clean the contacts usually works.
On the kv6 engine the throttle body drips oil right onto the switch.
When replacing, It needs to be set in a certain position to display correctly.
Easy way is to put the car in neutral, rotate the switch slightly until the neutral light appears on stick display.I believe there is a small tool to set it but not really required.
If dodgy it will do a range of things like starting in neutral but not in park, no display lights on certain gears on the stick etc.
If its a manual not sure.

Arctic 30th May 2020 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75driver (Post 2815425)
Thank for the pointers.
When I got home from work I got a look at it. The light bulb on the dash was lit, so checked that and the rear tail light bulb was out, bringing on the break light.
Tried cleaning the multi plug, but noticed that jiggling the wires to the multiplug would make either or both tail and break light come on.
Someone has put in a tow bar, and joined into the light cluster with those scotch lock connectors. So that’s some wiring to be redone.😣
Quote:

Couldn’t check the reverse lights tonight as I was on me own,
but at one point, I did notice the “P” on the gear selector fully lit up. Now it’s just dimly lit, so I guess a poor connection somewhere.
Also removed an aftermarket stereo that didn’t work, as I suspected it may have been linked to wipers coming on when engine switched off. Wiper problem sorted, so just need to replace the radio now.🙄

Ignition II without starting the engine select reverse then go take a look at the reverse lights see if they are on or not ;)

75driver 30th May 2020 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2815463)
Ignition II without starting the engine select reverse then go take a look at the reverse lights see if they are on or not ;)

Now why didn’t I think of that..🙄
Anyhoo...now checked and reverse lights work, but the led on the gear selector is dim / temperamentally lighting up some times.

suzublu 30th May 2020 17:12

Your radio/wipers problem is caused by the switched live and permanent live being the wrong way round.;)
Common issue with aftermarket radio's

75driver 30th May 2020 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2815581)
Your radio/wipers problem is caused by the switched live and permanent live being the wrong way round.;)
Common issue with aftermarket radio's

Thanks Ron, I had done some reading about that, so disconnected the radio altogether which sorted out the wiper problem (there was a mess of wires combining the grey plug and brown plug to a common plug, and from that to a single plug that fits to the aftermarket stereo). All different colours of course🙄.
Just don’t know which ones to swap around / or how to disconnect them from the plugs.

There was also one green red wire not connected, and another blue/green plug not connected.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...453c6a185e.jpg