The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brake calipers - getting the pistons out (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299466)

Blink 24th September 2019 11:59

Brake calipers - getting the pistons out

Do the pistons/seals come out easily - or should I press the brake pedal and force them out while the calipers are still on the car (but not on the discs).

I'd like to take the route of least possible spillage. ;)

vitesse 24th September 2019 12:10

Not done Rover 75 but Rover SD1, try and remove the pistons while on the car but there will be spillage. I've also used compressed air to move the pistons detached from the car but then I have a reasonable three phase compressor.

Regards

clf 24th September 2019 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2764187)
Not done Rover 75 but Rover SD1, try and remove the pistons while on the car but there will be spillage. I've also used compressed air to move the pistons detached from the car but then I have a reasonable three phase compressor.

Regards

Compressed air is how I did mine. Used a piece of wood to protect the inner face of the caliper. Make sure hands and fingers are clear, and there will still be a little spillage.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Blink 24th September 2019 12:29

I don't have anything to provide compressed air.

Blink 24th September 2019 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2764187)
... try and remove the pistons while on the car but there will be spillage. ...

The problem with doing it on the car is I can't see the calipers and press the brake pedal at the same time. The only thing I can do is stick a bit of wood in there, press the pedal and hope for the best, but there could be a mass fluid escape. :eek:

The pistons won't come out if I try it off the car then (without compressed air)?

vitesse 24th September 2019 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blink (Post 2764202)
The problem with doing it on the car is I can't see the calipers and press the brake pedal at the same time. The only thing I can do is stick a bit of wood in there, press the pedal and hope for the best, but there could be a mass fluid escape. :eek:

The pistons won't come out if I try it off the car then (without compressed air)?

I suppose it depends on how lubricated the seals are / age / state of the pistons. I think in your shoes I'd lubricate the pistons (red rubber grease) in and out a few times until there is easy movement, with either the pads or a block of wood in place. When there is easy movement and while still on the car press the pistons out about 1/2" so you have a surface to work with. Using duct tape as protection from scratches, then try to turn the pistons screwing outwards as you turn with some kind of polygrip. If no movement back to lubricating, pressing in / out until such a time as they will move. Clamp or block the hoses and remove onto your bench.
Or someone else might have other ideas ...

Regards

mininuts 24th September 2019 14:15

I’ve always use compressed air to remove them but, I’m sure a foot pump would provide enough ‘wind’ if you could connect it to the caliper in some way :shrug:

Avulon 25th September 2019 13:28

As they are only single piston it's easiest to just push them out using the hyrdraulic pressure of the braking system. Arrange something to catch spillage, a bucket perhaps? do them one at a time if you need to do more than one. For each one pushed out you'll then have to securely blank off that brake hose to withstand pressure before moving to the next. Alternatively off the car and drained use a high pressure airline (take it to the garage and use theirs).

COLVERT 25th September 2019 15:28

Doing them off the car is probably the best bet. With the hoses clamped up fluid loss will be at a minimum.--:D

That means much easier when re-installing everything.

No mess at home or buckets or anything if you go to a garage. Can't cost much as it will only take them a few seconds with compressed air.---:D

You know it makes sense.---:cool:-----:smilie_re: Go now.

David Lawrence 25th September 2019 17:58

I found i was able to use a big screw driver to lever out the piston from the inside lip. It takes a few goes, but there is a kind of lip that surrounds the internal rim. The exposed side, not the shiny side with the seals in. You can lever that out bit at a time. I didnt use any air or any pressure to do it.