The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Got a spare $440,000 lying around? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312501)

MissMoppet 21st April 2021 19:15

Got a spare $440,000 lying around?

The E-type was launched at the Geneva Motor Show in 1962. To celebrate Jag are releasing twelve E-Types, convertibles and coupes. These are not replicas but new re-built. As the New York Times says: "They are being completely rebuilt, and the engines, gauges, electrical systems and more will be modernized. Their paint jobs — Flat Out Grey and Drop Everything Green, in honor of their hasty journeys to Geneva — are exact recreations of the colors of the show cars. Jaguar further promises that those colors will never be used again on any Jags."

It was a late decision to show the cars and the test driver drove from Coventry to Geneva at an average speed of . . . 68mph including the ferry! (And pre motorways here or in France.)

And the cost? A snip at $440,000.

trikey 21st April 2021 19:45

I will be putting the lottery on....

bl52krz 22nd April 2021 23:29

I always remember when I was taking my then girlfriend, now my wife of 60 years this December, down to London for a day out in my 100E Ford van, on the New M1. I remember we were talking about what to do when we got to London, when all of a sudden, the van rocked, and into the distance, a red E Type was disappearing, and then another one shot past and rocked the van. It made us jump. They were doing well over 100 mph. We were doing around 65mph. Memories are golden are they not. The good old days.

The Rovering Member 23rd April 2021 07:08

Factory cars on test perhaps?

The new ones sound extremely good value for money when put up against the Bond DB5 recreation. Four million & you can't drive it on the road.
I know which l'd rather have.

MissMoppet 23rd April 2021 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rovering Member (Post 2877869)

The new ones sound extremely good value for money

They always were. Do you remember when there was a waiting list and those who managed to get one put them up for sale immediately? William Lyons refused to increase the price. I remember reading that BL made just £35 on every mini sold. Oh dear, we never learn.

Bogbrush82 23rd April 2021 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2877880)
I remember reading that BL made just £35 on every mini sold. Oh dear, we never learn.

They'd have a heart attack if they saw the prices now....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1324666

roverbarmy 23rd April 2021 19:57

One of my best customers had a white E type and parked it next to one of our trucks. The driver had pulled into the car park in line with his usual collection bay. The bay was having some work done and he had to load on the adjacent bay. He climbed into the cab, checked the mirrors, wound the steering over and reversed right up the bonnet of the E type with his front wheel! It was so low that it wasn't visible in his mirrors! The customer was great about it and simply said "That's what we pay insurance for!" I cried for a week!:duh:

torque2me 27th April 2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2877681)
The E-type was launched at the Geneva Motor Show in 1962. To celebrate Jag are releasing twelve E-Types, convertibles and coupes. These are not replicas but new re-built. As the New York Times says: "They are being completely rebuilt, and the engines, gauges, electrical systems and more will be modernized. Their paint jobs — Flat Out Grey and Drop Everything Green, in honor of their hasty journeys to Geneva — are exact recreations of the colors of the show cars. Jaguar further promises that those colors will never be used again on any Jags."

Didn't Jaguar also produce the missing numbers fore another model that was trashed in the Browns Lane factory. Announced a couple of years ago and all were to be hand-built (including engines) for about £1.2 million (or am I just confused?).

Kev

elefsis 28th April 2021 20:03

I owned an E type, it was 541 st ever made 1961 3.8 triple SU carburettors. It was registered 5038 JN and I had this when the 50mph limit was on with the fuel shortage in the sixties I have found that this car still has the same number plate, is now Green and restored to its original specification, but up for auctio0n .