The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What garage flooring? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289807)

Dart2050 3rd November 2018 19:08

What garage flooring?

Just finished building my garage. Not large, 5.1x3.8 meters, but looking forward to using it. Can't make my mind up about flooring. Concrete not as level as I would like and I don't want to fiddle about with self levelling compounds, so considering rubber tiles but which sort? Pricey items. Horse flooring not much cheaper. What have you done folks? I'm interested to find out.

Devilish 3rd November 2018 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dart2050 (Post 2683783)
Concrete not as level as I would like and I don't want to fiddle about with self levelling compounds.

Nor me. Been saying I will give it a few coats of floor paint for about 5 years.

Fusilier 3rd November 2018 19:25

Garage Flooring

I have just got rubber backed carpet tiles down in my man cave, and that way can lie on the floor to clean the cars, and they have been down for around 10 years

and they are cheaper than interlocking mats or whatever other product, and you can get different colours and make your own pattern on floor

https://www.diy.com/departments/floo.../DIY566432.cat

Stu

bikerdude666 3rd November 2018 19:46

When my wife got laminate put in the lounge and hallway, I took the carpet and put it in the garage. Warm and soft to stand and walk on, especially as it’s 3 layers thick by the work bench! Been in there 2 years and no sign of damp or mould etc

tourer 4th November 2018 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2683794)
When my wife got laminate put in the lounge and hallway, I took the carpet and put it in the garage. Warm and soft to stand and walk on, especially as it’s 3 layers thick by the work bench! Been in there 2 years and no sign of damp or mould etc

Does a wet car not soak it through?

bikerdude666 4th November 2018 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 2683940)
Does a wet car not soak it through?

Would do if I was putting the daily drive in there, but garage is used for the bike and trike, dry weather use.

Les4048 4th November 2018 14:35

I put my car into a Carcoon over the winter and the tough plastic groundsheet is wet underneath from the concrete sweating. That’d be my worry about putting down carpet

macafee2 4th November 2018 15:43

how flat do you want a floor?
concrete wont be like glass but it should be flat. oh I think I now I now understand, the concrete you have put down is not as flat as you would like.
what ever floor you put down I would consider what happens when a liquid gets on it.
Will the floor such as carpet hold the liquid, can the liquid easily be cleaned up.
There is also the risk of damage, thing gouging the floor so is rubber tiles a good option? How easy will it be to sweep up dust and dirt?

Even if not as flat as you would like, if it's not bad I'd paint the concrete floor and use it as is.

I have concrete painted

macafee2

Jim Jamieson 4th November 2018 16:03

I’m the same as bikerdude ive got carpets plus underlay in both garages.
One was only months old when it got soaked due to a burst pipe in the house.
After drying out it was fitted into one garage. The other was in the boys room and when they flew the nest the missus turned it into a craft room with laminate flooring.
Carpets have been down for a few years now with no ill effects. I also have runners which I power wash periodically.

bikerdude666 4th November 2018 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson (Post 2684005)
I’m the same as bikerdude ive got carpets plus underlay in both garages.
One was only months old when it got soaked due to a burst pipe in the house.
After drying out it was fitted into one garage. The other was in the boys room and when they flew the nest the missus turned it into a craft room with laminate flooring.
Carpets have been down for a few years now with no ill effects. I also have runners which I power wash periodically.

I get some strange looks from the neighbours when I move everything out of the garage and hoover it. But it's been down a couple of years, done a lot of different stuff in there, woodworking, fibreglassing, oil changes on the bike (I've got some matting to absorb any drips), and with an occasional vacuum it's still fine.