The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Trip to Ravinder country (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317744)

macafee2 11th February 2022 15:47

Trip to Ravinder country

I'm just back from a week in Ravinder country, Scotland.
Cold windy and wet but beautiful.
We stayed for a couple of days near Spittle of Glenshee I think and then moved down to St Fillans at Loch Earn.
It was about a 320 mile drive home. The Scottish roads are hard work in that they are very twisty. The motorway was boring and just went on mile after mile. Normally distance does not bother me but today, I really did not enjoy the drive. I think if I had been towing the caravan we would have stopped over somewhere. Perhaps it is a sign of getting old.
We drove 5 of the 7 days and have done a bit over 1,000 miles and as one would expect with a Rover 75, it never missed a beat.

A few disappointments at places we visited as they have changed so in the 50ish years since I was a child. The villages had a 20mph limit and these seem to have remained unspoilt.

It is nice to be home and nice to have got home safe and sound.

macafee2

Tam 13th February 2022 19:32

Spittal of Glenshee is my stomping ground. Not many hotels around there! Unless Dalmunzie? :}

macafee2 13th February 2022 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tam (Post 2920455)
Spittal of Glenshee is my stomping ground. Not many hotels around there! Unless Dalmunzie? :}

Our son in law had rented a 4 bedroom place for daughters 30th birthday. wife and I, son in law, daughter and their child, son in laws sister and boyfriend and boy friends parents. Another couple were to join them when we left but they did not turn up. So quiet there.

macafee2

MSS 14th February 2022 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tam (Post 2920455)

Now, that looks rather nice. I spent a few weeks in Alness, a bit further up the A9, for work few years ago and stayed at Kincraig Castle during my one week. I loved it - absolutely stunning.

One week I drove from Suffok in my Omega and did a fair bit of walking at the weekend including going up Meall Fuar-mhonaidh, which I still cannot pronounce properly.

I've thought of spending a few days near Aviemore for some hill walking.

stocktake 14th February 2022 09:16

We are departing for a week in Edinburgh on Sat. Staying in one of the properties that a trust I am a member of owns. Looking forward to having a nosey around the castle and Britannia.
Our trust have around 10 properties around the country, this is my first time at the Edinburgh one. Favourite one so far is the one on the isle of sky, quite spectacular. as is the isle.

Twisterboy 14th February 2022 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2920539)
We are departing for a week in Edinburgh on Sat. Staying in one of the properties that a trust I am a member of owns. Looking forward to having a nosey around the castle and Britannia.
Our trust have around 10 properties around the country, this is my first time at the Edinburgh one. Favourite one so far is the one on the isle of sky, quite spectacular. as is the isle.

Enjoy your time in Edinburgh

Simondi 14th February 2022 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2920093)
I'm just back from a week in Ravinder country, Scotland.
Cold windy and wet but beautiful.
We stayed for a couple of days near Spittle of Glenshee I think and then moved down to St Fillans at Loch Earn.
It was about a 320 mile drive home. The Scottish roads are hard work in that they are very twisty. The motorway was boring and just went on mile after mile. Normally distance does not bother me but today, I really did not enjoy the drive. I think if I had been towing the caravan we would have stopped over somewhere. Perhaps it is a sign of getting old.
We drove 5 of the 7 days and have done a bit over 1,000 miles and as one would expect with a Rover 75, it never missed a beat.

A few disappointments at places we visited as they have changed so in the 50ish years since I was a child. The villages had a 20mph limit and these seem to have remained unspoilt.

It is nice to be home and nice to have got home safe and sound.

macafee2

Glad you enjoyed your break, we stayed at Drumfork Estates a couple of years ago which is not too far from Spittal of Glenshee- beautiful.

Simondi 14th February 2022 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2920539)

I love Edinburgh, so much to see and do. Just remember the best sight in Edinburgh is the train to Glasgow:eek::getmecoat::D

Tam 14th February 2022 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 2920614)
Glad you enjoyed your break, we stayed at Drumfork Estates a couple of years ago which is not too far from Spittal of Glenshee- beautiful.

Drumfork was where I spent all my Holidays as a kid. My Grandad was the gardener there in the old days before it became all fancy! ;)

stevestrat 15th February 2022 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simondi (Post 2920615)
Just remember the best sight in Edinburgh is the train to Glasgow:eek::getmecoat::D

Yeah, watching it leave and thinking thank God I'm not going there :D

Not long after Ging came here we spent a few nights in Inverness to let her see the wild and woolly Scotland. My parents tagged along and at dinner the first night my father suggested heading west the following day then added we'd take my car as it was bigger. I was conned! Drove further than I had driving up to Inverness in the first place, 90% on single track roads having to contend with Wallace Arnold tour buses etc. Shattered by the time we got back to the hotel.