The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   scary near miss (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310049)

macafee2 22nd December 2020 13:40

scary near miss

Just had a scary near miss.

Pulled out on a roundabout with time to clear an approaching car
Moved a couple of feet only and the front wheels just spun.

No it was not too much welly (under normal circumstance) that caused it.
I dont drive like that but lets rewind a bit, about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.

Oh look there is diesel on the road. I turn off, my goodness my abs just kicked in. Now lets go forward to the roundabout. 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile late surly the diesel is not playing its part still?

If you see a black Tourer pulling out on a roundabout and nearly being torpedoed I am sorry. To the driver of the Honda, I am very sorry and thank you for not hitting me or hooting.

On the road, I accelerate in a straight line and to my amazement I get wheel spin in 2nd gear. I try and emergency stop down the road and opps big slide.

Pull in at petrol station and check tyres, don't feel slippery and there is plenty of tread. Journey home is a lot better, no where near as much wheel spin. Also checked it was not clutch slip and it is not.

As I go around a round about a van pulls out in front of me and stalls, I don't bat an eye lid, I pass the nice behaviour of the Honda driver to me on to the Gas man but that Honda got pretty close and really must have been annoyed.

Also will add a wet road surface

macafee2

Avulon 23rd December 2020 15:19

When you really do drive through a diesel spill the diesel soaks into the very outer surface of the tyres: ask any motorcyclist who's been riding long enough. It's quite scary isn't it? All you can do is drive and wear it off asap.

macafee2 24th December 2020 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2855579)
When you really do drive through a diesel spill the diesel soaks into the very outer surface of the tyres: ask any motorcyclist who's been riding long enough. It's quite scary isn't it? All you can do is drive and wear it off asap.

I was just so shocked at the loss of grip. Been a biker so am very weary of the road surface but never in 40 years of driving, have I experienced this kind of reaction.
I think the tyres are now clean as yesterday was a rainy day but did not have any problems and have did 50 or so miles

macafee2

COLVERT 25th December 2020 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2855856)
I was just so shocked at the loss of grip. Been a biker so am very wary of the road surface but never in 40 years of driving have I experienced this kind of reaction.
I think the tyres are now clean as yesterday was a rainy day but did not have any problems and have done 50 or so miles since.

macafee2

Maybe it was diesel mixed with something else. Bit of oil maybe.--:shrug:

MGjim 25th December 2020 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2855966)
Maybe it was diesel mixed with something else. Bit of oil maybe.--:shrug:

Don't forget Diesel is an oil.....

COLVERT 25th December 2020 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGjim (Post 2855990)
Don't forget Diesel is an oil.....

I rather mean that carbon filled mucky mixture that might be leaking out of a diesel engine, full of all sorts of slippery rubbish.

trikey 25th December 2020 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2855579)
ask any motorcyclist who's been riding long enough. It's quite scary isn't it?

That's a rather polite way of putting it!

Avulon 27th December 2020 20:32

When you've slid sideways into the oncoming lane with both ends letting go, but get backup without wiping out and wobble the last mile to work to find scuffs up the tyre sidewalls to the rim it earns the right to put it 'politely' :D :D :icon_lol::xmas-smiley-008:

p2roverman 27th December 2020 21:34

Some time ago on two successive roundabouts the rear end slid out, the second time just missing a vehicle broken down on the roundabout, put the s**ts up the wife. I don't drive hard, especially so with company so can only assume it was a similar situation.