The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   P and O (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318289)

mbev51 17th March 2022 17:43

P and O

Hi, bad news for the sacked workers, by all accounts cheaper foreign workers will be hired. This would not be allowed to happen in Germany and France due to EU rules.

Stevie25 17th March 2022 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbev51 (Post 2924661)
Hi, bad news for the sacked workers, by all accounts cheaper foreign workers will be hired. This would not be allowed to happen in Germany and France due to EU rules.

Outrageous and disgraceful decision by P&O to sack 800 workers without notice and replace them with cheaper agency workers today.
Is this practice now going to become commonplace?

macafee2 17th March 2022 19:40

I can fully understand the bitterness people have I'd be the same. I'm surprised it is legal.

P&O say
" these staff will be served with "enhanced" severance packages, calling it a "necessary decision" to protect its remaining 2,200 staff"

For some the severance package may be great for them... retirement and pension for others probably stress.

Is there justification to sack 800 to save 2,200?
The pay on P&O cruise ships for the foreign workers is (was) when I asked a worker mind blowingly poor. I raised it on a P&O? forum and got shot down in flames by other members saying it is none of my business

macafee2

mbev51 17th March 2022 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevie25 (Post 2924674)
Outrageous and disgraceful decision by P&O to sack 800 workers without notice and replace them with cheaper agency workers today.
Is this practice now going to become commonplace?

Our employment laws should have been such that this situation cannot happen. BoJo recently had a speech where he talked about his vision of a high wage economy!

Raven Black 17th March 2022 20:43

P & o

It's just awful news. I was on a day trip Saturday with the Rover, first in 2 years. In spite of huge delays caused by the ships having to be refueled by trucks, thanks to our hysterical govt, it was so nice to be crossing the channel again. I dared to think things might be getting back to somewhat normal, so booked another trip yesterday., only to see today's Daily gloom and Doom.

When I read this venerable company with a proud history is now owned by Russian and Dubai companies and no trace of British owners, what is happening is horrible but hardly surprising. Just terribly sad.

Twisterboy 18th March 2022 07:28

Not the greatest news for those poor workers, I would say it is not Legal.

edwardmk 18th March 2022 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Black (Post 2924684)
It's just awful news. I was on a day trip Saturday with the Rover, first in 2 years. In spite of huge delays caused by the ships having to be refueled by trucks, thanks to our hysterical govt, it was so nice to be crossing the channel again. I dared to think things might be getting back to somewhat normal, so booked another trip yesterday., only to see today's Daily gloom and Doom.

When I read this venerable company with a proud history is now owned by Russian and Dubai companies and no trace of British owners, what is happening is horrible but hardly surprising. Just terribly sad.

We've been selling the silverware in the UK for a long time. Where is the long term strategic planning? Long 'just in time' supply chains. Foreign ownership of multiple vital assets. Self- immolation to achieve net zero carbon targets. Unprecedented money printing. What could possibly go wrong?:getmecoat:

KWIL 18th March 2022 08:51

P&O Ferries are a different company (ie different owners) from P&O Ferries so I believe.

Phil th Barrow 18th March 2022 09:04

I blame Thatcher .... For eveything.. :-)

mbev51 18th March 2022 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2924702)
We've been selling the silverware in the UK for a long time. Where is the long term strategic planning? Long 'just in time' supply chains. Foreign ownership of multiple vital assets. Self- immolation to achieve net zero carbon targets. Unprecedented money printing. What could possibly go wrong?:getmecoat:

WW3 could start!