The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why is so hard to find a simple thermostat for KV6 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295225)

LittleMan 24th April 2019 00:23

Why is so hard to find a simple thermostat for KV6

I’m trying to source a thermostat for the engine overhaul I’m about to make, but it seems impossible to find. Is it coming glued to the OEM housing, and comes only as a package?
My housing is not leaking yet...

SD1too 24th April 2019 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleMan (Post 2729047)
Is it coming glued to the OEM housing, and comes only as a package?

Yes Paul, that is correct, the thermostat and housing are one assembly.
Quote:

My housing is not leaking yet...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If you possibly can, leave the three plastic components (straight pipe, curved pipe and thermostat housing) in situ during your engine work.

Simon

Lord of Hog 24th April 2019 06:44

Oh go on ... have a fiddle. Just think of all the hours of fun you'll have fixing the other leaks that appear, replacing the snapped breathers, trying to re-fit the O-rings on the fuel line elbow etc ......:D

LittleMan 24th April 2019 21:27

Hmmm...bad design already; and I haven’t even started...

Jim Jamieson 24th April 2019 22:30

My comments are, if a jobs worth doing it’s worth doing properly.

SD1too 25th April 2019 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleMan (Post 2729266)
Hmmm...bad design already; and I haven’t even started...

Paul; may I ask why you are undertaking an engine overhaul? What is the problem?

Simon

LittleMan 25th April 2019 19:56

Engine overhaul...actually I meant timing belt replacement. It was never done for this car (it has about 55.000 miles, but obviously heaps of years)

Rich in Vancouver 26th April 2019 01:28

It really is worthwhile changing the thermostat while you have everything apart. It gives you the opportunity to change the intake manifold gaskets while you are at it. Thermostat housings with replaceable stats are available but they are the custom made metal ones that cost several times the price of the plastic units so not exactly a saving unless you have had repeated failures.

LittleMan 26th April 2019 03:45

Why is so hard to find a simple thermostat for KV6

For 200euros, this is a very expensive excercise. That’s half of all the other components I’ve bought for this job. I’m not going to touch it than, and replace just manifold gaskets.

SD1too 26th April 2019 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleMan (Post 2729468)
Engine overhaul...actually I meant timing belt replacement.

Ahh, well you won't need to touch the thermostat housing or inlet manifolds for that job and as they're not giving you trouble I'd recommend that you leave well alone.

I'm also sending you a PM Paul. :}

Simon