The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front fan rattle (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299773)

MissMoppet 6th October 2019 16:35

Front fan rattle

Front fan has started chattering (on 127K miles). Presumably bearing going, so no cure except replace? Looks a pig of a job and little point in buying a S/H one as I intend keeping it till St Peter calls me - or The Revolution happens, whichever comes first . . .

Arctic 6th October 2019 21:43

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2766977)
Front fan has started chattering (on 127K miles). Presumably bearing going, so no cure except replace? Looks a pig of a job and little point in buying a S/H one as I intend keeping it till St Peter calls me - or The Revolution happens, whichever comes first . . .[/QUOT

E]

Hi Dave.
On which car is the fan chattering ? diesel or 2.5 petrol you have in you signature, try getting to our last Nano meet 19th 20th October there you will find help.

SD1too 7th October 2019 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2766977)
Front fan has started chattering ... Presumably bearing going ...

Try to resist making assumptions Dave. I don't remember anyone suffering fan motor bearing failure before. There have been one or two instances of the plastic fan blades loosening on the motor spindle's bayonet-style fitting though.

Simon

MissMoppet 7th October 2019 11:56

[QUOTE=Arctic;2767087]
Quote:

E]

Hi Dave.
On which car is the fan chattering ? diesel or 2.5 petrol you have in you signature, try getting to our last Nano meet 19th 20th October there you will find help.
The ole diesel. Nano meet: Midlands somewhere? (I'm in Zummerzet).

MissMoppet 7th October 2019 11:59

[QUOTE=Arctic;2767087]
Quote:

E]

Hi Dave.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2767122)
Try to resist making assumptions Dave. I don't remember anyone suffering fan motor bearing failure before. There have been one or two instances of the plastic fan blades loosening on the motor spindle's bayonet-style fitting though.

Simon

That's encouraging . . . I believe the dealer had to change the fan when I bought it, 60K miles ago, so tempted to agree but? Perhaps I'll try getting a socket on the spindle?

SD1too 7th October 2019 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2767162)
Perhaps I'll try getting a socket on the spindle?

I'm not sure what you mean by that Dave. It's a bayonet fitting so no socket required, just hands! :}

Simon

Arctic 7th October 2019 14:27

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2767161)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2767087)
The ole diesel. Nano meet: Midlands somewhere? (I'm in Zummerzet).

Hi Dave yes people have travelled further than Taunton to come to the meets, we even have some international members join us ;)

MissMoppet 7th October 2019 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2767163)
I'm not sure what you mean by that Dave. It's a bayonet fitting so no socket required, just hands! :}

Simon

Ah: all I can see is a nut . . . (maybe me).

Arctic 7th October 2019 17:34

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2767162)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2767087)

That's encouraging . . . I believe the dealer had to change the fan when I bought it, 60K miles ago, so tempted to agree but? Perhaps I'll try getting a socket on the spindle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2767163)

Simon

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2767232)
Ah: all I can see is a nut . . . (maybe me).

The spindle nut is used with a thin walled 15mm socket to hold the fan motor still while you remove & re-fit the fan blades ;)

Arctic 7th October 2019 17:57

This will help you also ;)

https://youtu.be/ls1BJGxUoPo