The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Product Recommendation: 3m Headlight Lens Restoration Kit (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313302)

Tourist 2nd June 2021 21:15

Product Recommendation: 3m Headlight Lens Restoration Kit

Hello all,

My car failed its MoT on headlight beam pattern, so today I set about rectifying them. In the past I've used the Meguiars kit on various cars and got acceptable results but I found it a bit of a hassle to use and wasn't particularly blown away with it.

I tried the 3M headlight restoration kit for the first time today and if I'd known it was going to be as effective as it has been, I'd have taken some pictures so you could see for yourself.

First thing to say is that it's a lot easier than the Meguiars system and the results were a lot more impressive. My headlights were opaque, with a green-tinged crazing pattern over them. I had noticed that they were dimmer than they should have been when on. I'd intended to address them before the holiday season this year, if it happens, but the failed MoT brought that self-imposed deadline forward by a month or so.

The process just involves using an electric drill to grind the surface of the lens back with three grades of abrasive (500, 800 and 3000 grit) and then buffing clear with a rubbing compound. Masking tape is included to protect the bodywork surrounding the headlights - all you need to add is an electric drill, bucket of clean water and a couple of cloths.

I paid just short of £20 for it on eBay and the only drawback was that there were instructions in about 8 languages, but not English! Luckily my father speaks Russian and I speak Spanish so together we worked it out fairly easily.

I would certainly use it again.

macafee2 3rd June 2021 07:17

I too have used the 3M kit and found it to be very good

macafee2

ceedy 3rd June 2021 12:40

Used both the 3M kit , very good , but pricey

and also this Sealey kit ... which is a lot cheaper .

C

hogweed 3rd June 2021 16:06

I used the 3M kit years ago, and got great results - then about 3 months later, the lights were opaque again. People here enlightened me that you have to lacqueur them after treatment, or this will always happen :duh:

So I had to do it all again... this time used a very similar kit by E-Tech, but which also contains the UV protectant lacqueur.

OK so far :D

MissMoppet 3rd June 2021 17:40

Simpler and cheaper is the Turtle Wax headlight restorer and cleaner, about a fiver. Ace.

hogweed 3rd June 2021 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2884686)
Simpler and cheaper is the Turtle Wax headlight restorer and cleaner, about a fiver. Ace.

I rubbed away with it till my arm was aching, but it had no noticable effect :shrug:

xsport 3rd June 2021 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2884686)

same here the turtle wax treatment once a month means just a quick rub over manually when it gets a wash. no big effort .. 5 min job. i think as well you could just apply to a drill buffer for a stubborn job for really bad lights . whatever you use they always return to a foggy look due to the I.V rays.

MissMoppet 4th June 2021 10:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2884687)
I rubbed away with it till my arm was aching, but it had no noticable effect :shrug:

You may well be right: I used the 3M a while ago but now use the Turtle every now and again to keep it crystal clear. At least Harmony thinks so.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&d=1622802395

stevestrat 4th June 2021 10:29

Did my old 1.8T the "old fashioned" way years ago. Various grades of wet & dry, bucket of soapy water, cutting compound and A LOT of elbow grease.

hogweed 4th June 2021 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2884787)
You may well be right: I used the 3M a while ago but now use the Turtle every now and again to keep it crystal clear. At least Harmony thinks so.

Right - looks like it works well for buffing them up when they're not too bad to begin with then :cool: but maybe not when they're in the state mine were :getmecoat: