The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Sat Nav not initiating (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=61592)

tapped 31st May 2010 07:34

Sat Nav not initiating

Hi All

Are there any knowledgeable folk on here that might know why a std fit sat nav unit won't start up? Head unit (hi line) does not show the Sat nav as a selectable option on the screen menu?

Cheers

Paul

richardwjackson 31st May 2010 07:49

Have you had any water ingress into the boot area?

tapped 31st May 2010 07:50

Hmm

Don't know. Its a friends car....

SD1too 31st May 2010 07:52

Paul,

I've had that once or twice. You could try ejecting the disc and cleaning it. I think I was told by a keen computer friend that the presence of a disc is detected by reading data from it. So no data equals no disc in the warped mind of a computer and the 'option' is removed from the menu.

Simon.

richardwjackson 31st May 2010 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapped (Post 532524)
Hmm

Don't know. Its a friends car....

Could be the disc, if not ask him to check the boot area for damp or water ingress. The radio and sat nav modules are beneath the floor near the spare wheel well and can be damaged quite easily by dampness, as i found out last year as had to replace the radio module. :}

tapped 31st May 2010 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardwjackson (Post 532527)
Could be the disc, if not ask him to check the boot area for damp or water ingress. The radio and sat nav modules are beneath the floor near the spare wheel well and can be damaged quite easily by dampness, as i found out last year as had to replace the radio module. :}

cheers Richard

tapped 31st May 2010 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 532526)
Paul,

I've had that once or twice. You could try ejecting the disc and cleaning it. I think I was told by a keen computer friend that the presence of a disc is detected by reading data from it. So no data equals no disc in the warped mind of a computer and the 'option' is removed from the menu.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I somehow missed your reply!!

MN190 5th June 2010 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapped (Post 532516)
Hi All

Are there any knowledgeable folk on here that might know why a std fit sat nav unit won't start up? Head unit (hi line) does not show the Sat nav as a selectable option on the screen menu?

Cheers

Paul

Even with a disc problem option should show up and then when selected you get a no disc message.
Can you check if the red light on nav computer comes on and then goes out a couple of minutes after everything has been switched off.
It may just need a battery reset

redtomcat 12th June 2010 15:22

Yesterday my sat/nav came up no disc / put a disc in then went blank with the sat/nav option not lite up. I took out the disc cleaned and put it back in the option came up but when selected the same thing happened. Before this actually happened the wife said she heard a whirling sound from the unit, the car was parked all on its own without the key in the ignition. any ideas.

SD1too 12th June 2010 18:39

Hello Trevor,

It's probably the same thing; the CD is not being read. Mine did this the other day and I think the mechanics need lubricating because I could see that the disc was not being withdrawn properly into the drive.

If the whirling sound was heard after the car had been recently locked, it could be the video module cooling fan which runs on for a period.

If you ever tinker under the bonnet, remember not to disconnect the battery until the sat. nav. computer's red LED has extinguished (it will remain lit for a while after the car was last used).

Simon.