The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bonnet switch and Alarm (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300682)

wizzo337 9th November 2019 20:07

Bonnet switch and Alarm

I have a little issue with my bonnet switch wiring I think.
My alarm went off last night so I disconnected the battery to sut it up. I came home from work tonight and reconnected the battery only to find that I have a bonnet open waring on my ipk. Thing is, I removed the switch for the bonnet two years ago. How can I disable the bonnet warning altogether, I don't need it as my car is only worth a few hundred quid. I did read on here that one of the headlight looms can chafe on the chassis rail. Does the bonnet switch loom run with the headlamp loom by any chance?

trikey 9th November 2019 20:20

The bonnet switch loom runs behind the slam panel, if you want to disconnect it, pop the switch out then join the wires, the problem is probably water in the switch.. this can be dried out then sprayed with WD40.

stocktake 9th November 2019 20:35

My bonnet light used to come on without a switch being fitted, it was one of the wires grounding to earth across the slam panel.

marinabrian 9th November 2019 20:40

It's a normally closed switch, unplug it ;)

Brian :D

stocktake 9th November 2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizzo337 (Post 2774502)
Thing is, I removed the switch for the bonnet two years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2774504)
, the problem is probably water in the switch.. this can be dried out then sprayed with WD40.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2774514)
It's a normally closed switch, unplug it ;)

Brian :D

Don't think the switch is present chaps hence my post :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2774511)
My bonnet light used to come on without a switch being fitted, it was one of the wires grounding to earth across the slam panel.

marinabrian 9th November 2019 22:33

Oh yes, I seem to have not bothered to read the post fully :o

wizzo337 10th November 2019 06:39

Sorted

Well, got up for work this morning, yes I know it's Sunday, switched on the car and the alarm activated symbol was on the ipk, I unplugged the alarm horn last night just in case it did this. Started her up and bonnet open displayed on there after she started. So I opened the bonnet and got hold of the loom under the relay box on the clutch end of the engine and gave it a pull. No more bonnet open warning. Guess I'm going to have to do a bit of a strip to get to the offending part of the loom to repair and protect it a little better than rover did. My Opel Manta had a similar issue and I found an opened up bycicle inner tube wrapped in some insulating tape did the job for the life of the car.
Thanks for the replies, pointed me in the right direction eventually.