The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Dash cams (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314544)

Phil 6th August 2021 20:26

Dash cams

Hello,
I've never really thought of getting a dash cam myself before, but now I have decided I need to get one.
I do a high mileage and in the last couple of months, moreso the last couple of weeks, I've had to take evasive action to avoid someone hitting me multiple times. I just want an extra "pair of eyes" keeping an eye out" should the worst happen.

Anyway, looking at dash cameras, they all seem to be mounted to the windscreen with an adhesive pad.
This is no good for me, I would need a suction mount.
Does anybody have a dash camera that they could recommend with a suction mount?

macafee2 6th August 2021 20:41

Nextbase 512GW, suction pads can for some strange reason simply fall off the screen

macafee2

Phil 6th August 2021 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2894611)
Nextbase 512GW, suction pads can for some strange reason simply fall off the screen

macafee2

I know you have to be careful with them, but I've never had an issue personally in the past.
I looked at the Nextbase range in Halfords. They do look good.
The reason I need suction pad mount is I am often driving different vehicles.

trikey 6th August 2021 21:07

We use nextbase in our cars, suction mount rather than sticky pad.

Get a camera that does rear view too, its worth the few extra ££

Heddy 6th August 2021 21:17

SWMBO got me a cheap chinese one that fastens over the rear view mirror using rubber bands. it's really good, has 1080p quality and reverse cam too. It's wider than the rear view and gives a broader view, downside, it makes an auto dim mirror redundant. I recently sold the 75 and bought an Astra, on the phone for insurance I was asked " Do you still have the dashcam fitted?" said yes, so they do make a difference.

Phil 6th August 2021 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2894622)
We use nextbase in our cars, suction mount rather than sticky pad.

Get a camera that does rear view too, its worth the few extra ££

Oh, did it come with the suction mount? All the Nextbase ones I saw were sticky pad only.
Yes, rear cam is a great idea. As far as I can see, the rear cam on the Nextbase just slots in like an integrated USB stick. That's a definite!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heddy (Post 2894624)
SWMBO got me a cheap chinese one that fastens over the rear view mirror using rubber bands. it's really good, has 1080p quality and reverse cam too. It's wider than the rear view and gives a broader view, downside, it makes an auto dim mirror redundant.

Rubber bands would work!
Do you have a link?

trikey 6th August 2021 21:28

Yes, the Nextbase ones came with both types of mount.

Phil 6th August 2021 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2894630)
Yes, the Nextbase ones came with both types of mount.

Ok, thanks a lot. If that's the case I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow!! :D

Heddy 7th August 2021 05:29

Something like this, doesn't restrict your view
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283725172...4AAOSwjZFeB1EK
The in picture view disappears after 30 secs to leave a normal mirror, but it's obviously still recording. An sd card ensures a 5 min loop.

AndyN01 7th August 2021 06:39

+1 for Nextbase.

Mine have a suction mount and have been secure.

Consider how sophisticated you want them to be. Some have GPS with speed tracking, bluetooth etc

And yes, get an appropriate physically sized SD card with plenty of memory. I use a micro 32GB and make sure it's a quality card. You need the best images you can get if the worst happens.

Good luck with your shopping :}