The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sunroof drains again... (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299603)

Tenesmus 29th September 2019 22:03

Sunroof drains again...

Where do they exit? I gather from other posts that it's in or near the wheel arches and there are some close up pics that don't really show where. What needs removing to get at them as I intend to chop the duck bills off? Will it be easier to wait until it's in a garage and get them to do it when it's on a lift?

Ta.

Arctic 29th September 2019 23:09

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenesmus (Post 2765546)
Where do they exit? I gather from other posts that it's in or near the wheel arches and there are some close up pics that don't really show where. What needs removing to get at them as I intend to chop the duck bills off? Will it be easier to wait until it's in a garage and get them to do it when it's on a lift?

Ta.

HI Pete.
The sunroof drain tubes/ducks bill exits through the bulk head behind the wheel arch liner, the top inner wing drain tubes are directly over the sunroof drain tubes, peel back the wheel arch liner from the bottom near the front sill and work your way up fold it down as you go.

Once you have created the gap use some sharp scissors or pliers that cut, and take off 15m just past the taper of the tube, a few photo's below. ;)

planenut 30th September 2019 08:16

It is worth looking at the connectors in the cabin, below the dashboard. On investigation with one of mine, there was a lot of sediment accumulated and I could remove it with a "corkscrew" shaped wire. Some members have then fitted a "hose connector" to ensure a waterproof connection.

richw 1st October 2019 22:12

As said above, just prise out the wheel arch liner enough to get your fingers in and shine in a torch. You will see the silly duck-bill, no doubt full of road grit and mud. Chop it with some long sharp scissors.

I ensured I could run some stiff wire through mine from the inside to the outside, so I knew they were clear.

I was thinking what a rubbish design it was, but then spotted a video on YouTube of the exact same setup and failures in a much newer Golf R32...

Tenesmus 2nd October 2019 14:57

Being a bit rubbish here, and am struggling with the wheel arch liner, especially as there's not much room with the wheel on. Specifically the rear, do you grab the bottom part at the sill end, and do you try to pull the edge of the liner from behind the fold of the metal? This sounds really basic but I've never had to do it before.

Do any of the securing screws have to be removed?

Thanks!

richw 2nd October 2019 21:39

Take the driver side front wheel. I managed it with wheel straight, but it might be easier turned right. Looking at the wheel side-on, peel back the black plastic arch liner at about the 10 o'clock position. I have some mini crowbars made of plastic which are perfect for pulling at trim (without damage). The plastic arch liner is quite soft and will bend out of the way, revealing the drain tube exit, complete with duck bill. You may need to shine a torch in for some light.

I didn't have to undo any bolts/screws.