The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ECU repair (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308485)

davidbooker 10th October 2020 16:21

ECU repair

Hi!
There used to be some experts on here, like Marinabrian, who could supply reconditioned ECUs cloned from the member's own, water damaged ECU. Is anyone still offering this service?

Many thanks

another_clean_sheet 10th October 2020 16:33

Try BigRuss

BigRuss 10th October 2020 19:37

Is the ECU a diesel one of so then yes, I have good ones in stock if it's not repairable drop me a message.

If it's for your V6 or a 1.8 then I don't have any I'm afraid.

Russ

davidbooker 11th October 2020 08:30

Thanks BigRuss
Unfortunately it's a V6. I'm drying it out, so it may be okay. It worked when doused with contact cleaner, then failed. This has happened twice, I"m hoping a few days indoors with the dehumidifier will work! Do you know any other member who could help if all else fails?

Many thanks, David

Parisien 11th October 2020 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidbooker (Post 2841598)
Hi!
There used to be some experts on here, like Marinabrian, who could supply reconditioned ECUs cloned from the member's own, water damaged ECU. Is anyone still offering this service?

Many thanks

Having just bought a 2002 2.5 V6.... :ladysman::bowdown:........ At least on my initial 30 minute test drive, awesome car.

I'd read that the ECU on the 2.5 engined car was sealed and not prone to water damage like the other models, this isn't the case then?

P

Mike Noc 11th October 2020 10:40

Yes they are sealed and it is rare for them to fail, would be interesting to see what has happened to the OP's ECM.

davidbooker 11th October 2020 11:10

There is a tideline on the heatsink, just about 1/3 from the bottom. The AA man opened the case with some difficulty, and it did appear to have sealant around the flanges. I'm not sure how much water, if any, was actually in the electronics because, once open, he immediately sprayed the innards with contact cleaner.

I'm hoping that any dampness will disappear while the unit is indoors. The fact that it works intermittently may be a good sign. When not working properly, the problem it produces is the EP message and failure of the engine to fire. Otherwise, everything is normal.

trikey 11th October 2020 11:39

Have you had your belts changed recently?

davidbooker 11th October 2020 11:42

About four years ago, by Andy Willi.

davidbooker 12th October 2020 06:40

I am still drying out the ecu. Ideally, I would like to replace it, but the ID labels have come off the casing. The only surviving label reads: ID209535, and even this is not very legible! How can I find the model number? Would the OBD2 Torque App reveal it, provided the ecu is still working when I reconnect it.

There are some ebay members offering Rover 'reconditioned' ecu cloning services, provided they know the exact ecu identification numbers. Are these any good? Does anyone in the Club provide this service, because I would much rather deal with a fellow member than an ebayer.....

Many thanks! :}