The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is it time to stop? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302417)

Terryf 26th January 2020 08:19

Is it time to stop?

Seriously considering selling the car and retiring from driving.
I am 86 now, my wife has vascular dementia, I drive about 6 miles once a week, sometimes once every two weeks.
Insurance has gone up due to slight scratch I put on a parked car, :o and various health reasons, now over £600.
Might give it one more year, or maybe not, can't make my mind up.
Terry :}:}:}:}

FLYING BANANA 26th January 2020 08:22

Do what you think is best. I’m only 70 but will continue for as long as I can.

jonc3725 26th January 2020 09:00

Terry

If you feel confident and can afford the £600 then I would say keep going. My mum stopped at 76 but has noticed the loss of freedom, hospital cars, taxis etc have made life that little more difficult.

I would think even the 6 miles a week give you some freedom and choice.

If you feel unsafe, have loss confidence or the costs are just that little bit too much then you probably know which decision to make.

Maybe go out with a driving instructor to see what they can advise(we all teach ourselves bad habits)

I feel for people when it comes to this point.

Good luck with the right decision.

Mike Noc 26th January 2020 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terryf (Post 2789114)
I am 86 now, my wife has vascular dementia, I drive about 6 miles once a week, sometimes once every two weeks.
Insurance has gone up due to slight scratch I put on a parked car, :o and various health reasons, now over £600.

Depends on how much you enjoy being behind the wheel Terry - from a financial view I reckon it is far cheaper to use a Taxi for 6 miles every week or two. :}

Terryf 26th January 2020 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonc3725 (Post 2789123)
Terry

If you feel confident and can afford the £600 then I would say keep going. My mum stopped at 76 but has noticed the loss of freedom, hospital cars, taxis etc have made life that little more difficult.

I would think even the 6 miles a week give you some freedom and choice.

If you feel unsafe, have loss confidence or the costs are just that little bit too much then you probably know which decision to make.

Maybe go out with a driving instructor to see what they can advise(we all teach ourselves bad habits)

I feel for people when it comes to this point.

Good luck with the right decision.

I am still confident in driving the car, and enjoy driving. it just seems a shame it most of its time locked in a garage.
I will probably keep going for another year.
Thanks for your suggestions. :}:}
Terry

myfirstrover 26th January 2020 09:52

If the driving causes you stress then give it up , but if you're confident in your ability , carry on

David Lawrence 26th January 2020 10:27

Its not really about your age, its about your driving. Good idea above to go for a driving lesson and see what he says. No point in giving up if you are still driving well.

KLM 26th January 2020 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terryf (Post 2789114)

I'm 77 and I think 80 is long enough, non of us can say our reactions are as good as they were at 30
The trick is to quit while your winning, traffic/roads are reaching breaking point.
Stress is causing men in their prime to drive like fools, eg.. hit & runs are now common place, think US diplomats and scallies.
80 will be long enough for me, God willing.
All the best.
Kev.

Kevin Williams 26th January 2020 10:55

Just to add to the excellent advice already given.

If you are not sure, why not leave the car in the garage for a couple of weeks and try using the alternatives to see whether they are practical? You can then go back to using the car and choose the best solution over time. Very wise not to rush into an instant decision when you have the choice

I do empathise with your dilemma as it will affect us all at some point

Kevin

coolguy 26th January 2020 10:57

I have just bought a one owner car (Rover 45) from a lady who,having bought it at age 83 has just given up driving at 100 because she caught the garage door (and who hasn't). The MOT tells that she only did 3,000 miles in the last 8 years, so I think you still have some way to go. It is fine for people to say it would be cheaper to use taxis, but have you tried waiting for them to turn up when you have an appointment - more stress.

I just dread the day when I cannot drive any more.