The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Worn crank pulley (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296791)

CCFMJL 21st June 2019 07:57

Worn crank pulley

As from last night (2.0 cdti auto) clattering bad at idle and disappears when moving. Christ the other day was a burning smell from the back now this :mad:

I know getting these pulley bolts of is a nightmare but should I get a new belt too as I've no idea how old this one is. Will I also need a water pump and tensioner, if so this will be a hefty bill.

Mike Noc 21st June 2019 08:24

With the serpentine belt removed you can check all the other pulleys for roughness and play, and then decide if they want changing or not.

Might be worth doing this before buying any bits as a worn water pump can clatter like a shot crank pulley.

Water pumps and tensioners last far longer on the diesels than petrol engines - my water pump went just shy of 300k miles and the tensioner is on 398k and still going strong.

Mickyboy 21st June 2019 08:43

Taking the crank pulley bolt out is easy with a Mac BWP151 impact gun, never had one I can’t break loose yet
Mick

COLVERT 21st June 2019 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2742224)
Taking the crank pulley bolt out is easy with a Mac BWP151 impact gun, never had one I can’t break loose yet
Mick

Probably cost £300.00 plus though.---:duh:

CCFMJL 21st June 2019 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2742219)
With the serpentine belt removed you can check all the other pulleys for roughness and play, and then decide if they want changing or not.

Might be worth doing this before buying any bits as a worn water pump can clatter like a shot crank pulley.

Water pumps and tensioners last far longer on the diesels than petrol engines - my water pump went just shy of 300k miles and the tensioner is on 398k and still going strong.

Yes I'll get them checked too....I can't believe though it's literally one thing after another :mad:

Colvett.... That's about right or second hand 150-2 and god knows if they'll need rebuilt like my S/O does.

Is it safe to drive with it clattering at idle, when out this morning and in traffic had the revs at 1000 as that stopped it. Infact as I'm driving there's no noise only at idle but it's hellish.

Mickyboy 22nd June 2019 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2742338)
Probably cost £300.00 plus though.---:duh:

I was only raising the point that a quality impact gun would get it off, maybe the OP might be able to borrow one, I’ve lent mine out before to a local for this job, oh and mine cost a lot more than £300 when I bought it new.
Mick

CCFMJL 22nd June 2019 08:09

I've got a good one but needs rebuilt and don't fancy burgering about with scaffy poles ect.

Can anybody say if it's ok to still drive like this as the guy I use is away for 2 weeks.

slovcan 22nd June 2019 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCFMJL (Post 2742433)
I've got a good one but needs rebuilt and don't fancy burgering about with scaffy poles ect.

Can anybody say if it's ok to still drive like this as the guy I use is away for 2 weeks.

I'm afraid it will get worse and at some point will suddenly fail. That has happened to others. Once the rubber starts tearing it can start to fail even quicker. Two weeks? No way of knowing.

I think you have some mechanical know-how. Maybe get a Corteco pulley and start doing the job yourself - you know, all the prep work - then get a mobile mechanic to come by with a strong impact gun to get the pulley off and the new one secured on. Then you can reassemble everything yourself. Hopefully there is a mobile mechanic who has the special tool for the pulley bolt.

Cheers,
Glenn

Mickyboy 22nd June 2019 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCFMJL (Post 2742433)

When they eventually fail it will gave way with a very loud bang and chuck the belts off, resulting in loosing power steering, then the alternator light will come on along with the temp gauge hitting the red section as you loose cooling triggering the fan onto high speed.

It’s kind of how long is a piece of string, I’d be changing it ASAP if you can, as you don’t want to be broken down by the side of the road going nowhere.
Mick

CCFMJL 22nd June 2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovcan (Post 2742456)
I'm afraid it will get worse and at some point will suddenly fail. That has happened to others. Once the rubber starts tearing it can start to fail even quicker. Two weeks? No way of knowing.

I think you have some mechanical know-how. Maybe get a Corteco pulley and start doing the job yourself - you know, all the prep work - then get a mobile mechanic to come by with a strong impact gun to get the pulley off and the new one secured on. Then you can reassemble everything yourself. Hopefully there is a mobile mechanic who has the special tool for the pulley bolt.

Cheers,
Glenn

Yea I've got the know how but it's getting the barstd bolt of and don't have a mobile mech.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2742457)
When they eventually fail it will gave way with a very loud bang and chuck the belts off, resulting in loosing power steering, then the alternator light will come on along with the temp gauge hitting the red section as you loose cooling triggering the fan onto high speed.

It’s kind of how long is a piece of string, I’d be changing it ASAP if you can, as you don’t want to be broken down by the side of the road going nowhere.
Mick

I kind of thought that I guess I better stay off it.