The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rumbling from NS, new bearing and driveshaft fitted (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305385)

Animesis 4th June 2020 09:42

Rumbling from NS, new bearing and driveshaft fitted

Long time no see friends,
I did some work on the old girl recently, changed the front hubs and wheel bearings to brand new stuff from good old DMGRS (hence I'm pretty sure its not the wheel bearing)

On the first journey out after the work on the motorway a rumbling very similar to a wheel bearing appeared, I jacked the car up on the offending side, tyre off and had a listen with it spinning, definitely something on the passenger side between wheel and engine, couldnt pin point it anymore than that.

To imagine the sound, imagine rolling a brake disc along a concrete driveway (I've tested with the calliper off and the noise is still there)

As it has a new wheel bearing I've assumed it was the driveshaft and just replaced that this morning but the noise is still there.

To me its either the gearbox or a brand new wheel bearing is failing already?!

Any tips would be hugely appreciated
kindest regards and TIA

marinabrian 4th June 2020 10:50

Incorrect fitting technique?, poor quality parts?, to be fair it could be either or indeed none of these things, but it is important to not discount items which have been recently replaced as not defective ;)

Start by removing the driveshaft from the hub, backing off the caliper, then spinning the wheel, this should at least exclude the gearbox as a possibility ;)

Best of luck

Brian :D

Animesis 4th June 2020 14:30

I shall have to pull it all apart again and try something!¬ unfortunately its the kind of noise you dont hear until about 20mph and up so spinning the wheel by hand is a tricky test :D

ceedy 6th June 2020 08:36

have you looked at the intermediate drive support bearing ? ;)

mine was like a dogs thngy in a bucket :o:D:D..

C

Animesis 10th June 2020 20:13

dont say that! I swapped the gearbox out a while back and have no wish to repeat! haha
Ill have another look and keep my fingers crossed its ok, going to try a cheap wheel bearing i think and see the results, it does seem a remarkable coincidence it was after the bearings were replaced

colemerian 16th July 2021 19:57

Rumbling noise after reaching 25mph

Did you have any luck identifying the source of the rumbling? I have the same problem, new SKF bearing fitted front n/s rumbling started which was n't there before. Grateful for any clues.

COLVERT 16th July 2021 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemerian (Post 2891518)
Did you have any luck identifying the source of the rumbling? I have the same problem, new SKF bearing fitted front n/s rumbling started which was n't there before. Grateful for any clues.

The OP has not been on the forum for a couple of months.--:shrug:

You could possibly E-Mail him.