The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Steel Seal ??? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298383)

Outlaw 41 14th August 2019 18:12

Steel Seal ???

Back a few weeks ago the ZT went into the garage with a thermostat coolant leak which they have now diagnosed as a HGF. They used Steel Seal as a first option to try and keep costs down. So has anyone used this on the KV6? Ime rather sceptical that an additive poured into the coolant will do the job.

suzublu 14th August 2019 18:18

Please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh::duh ::duh:
BODGE. Fix the leak:cool:

Outlaw 41 14th August 2019 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2754941)
Please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh::duh ::duh:
BODGE. Fix the leak:cool:

So,you dont recommend it then? :shrug:

Dawn 14th August 2019 18:30

K seal and steel seal block the water ways in our engines. I had a 1.8 that had the stuff in and it killed it (previous owner, not me) It sometimes works for awhile, but it blocks your matrix and more in the long run, and eventually it will go again leaving an even bigger bill in its wake. That is my experience. I paid the price for someone else using it.

Outlaw 41 14th August 2019 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 2754945)
K seal and steel seal block the water ways in our engines. I had a 1.8 that had the stuff in and it killed it (previous owner, not me) It sometimes works for awhile, but it blocks your matrix and more in the long run, and eventually it will go again leaving an even bigger bill in its wake. That is my experience. I paid the price for someone else using it.

Thank you very much Dawn for your reply you have echoed my thoughts and feelings. It was the garage that recomended Steel Seal as they have used it before on Jags with the same problem. The oil and coolant havent mixed but combustion gasses have over pressurized the coolant resulting in the thermostat leaking.

trikey 14th August 2019 18:49

Horrible horrible stuff. Garages shouldn't recommend using it, to me it just shouts 'Lazy cant be ar$ed mechanic'

Outlaw 41 14th August 2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2754951)
Horrible horrible stuff. Garages shouldn't recommend using it, to me it just shouts 'Lazy cant be ar$ed mechanic'

Thanks Trikey, its not looking good is it? When i drive her now there will be one eye on the road and the other on my temp gauge.

planenut 14th August 2019 19:11

Quote:

They used Steel Seal as a first option to try and keep costs down.
First I hope it's not been used, but if so, and they did it it before telling you, then you have some comeback if it goes wrong.

Outlaw 41 14th August 2019 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2754958)
First I hope it's not been used, but if so, and they did it it before telling you, then you have some comeback if it goes wrong.

The garage didnt give me the option of having the HG sorted the right way which is sent off to be ground etc they just said that they will put Steel Seal in and that should do the trick.

Outlaw 41 14th August 2019 19:35

I know that its not looking good but all i can do right now is drive her and hope that she dosent go pop. I will keep you all updated with the success or demise. Thanks again to you all for your wisdom. :bowdown: