The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Leaving the owner's club - perhaps - long story (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=56085)

pmw75 10th March 2010 16:53

Leaving the owner's club - perhaps - long story

Hi, although a newbie I have taken some good advice from this forum and asked a few questions. I am now admitting my stupidity. I bought my 75 1.8 Auto 3 weeks ago from a 'proper' Ltd Co. dealer with a good stock of cars from £1k to £27k. "All our cars are HPI checked" etc. 2002 (02) Immaculate black, very nice interior, etc. 62000 miles, some history £1990 having been £2695.
Sudden severe water leak from thermo' housing, recovery truck into garage. Phone dealer to find man I dealt with on paternity leave (brief mobile conversation "can't be ar**ed with cars at moment", his stand in does not want to know, owner on holiday. I had to authorise repair. Garage then tells me engine shot, likely head gasket but cost me £231 plus recovery, BTW did I know it had been a Taxi? I paid for an HPI check last recorded milage - 557,000, yes 557k. Stand in has been persuaded to contact owner on holiday who has said will collect car and reimburse me on his return (2 weeks).
So unless someone amongst you has a nice, pref deisel, example I will not own a 75. Am very sad as I love it!!

stevemac 10th March 2010 16:58

557k on a 1.8 :eek::bowdown:

JohnDotCom 10th March 2010 17:00

Sorry to hear this,
But always advise to do your own HPi check or see their paperwork to back up,
as well as old MOT's etc.
Plenty of decent cars out there.
Also contact Trading Standards if no joy.
Find it hard to believe a 1.8 taxi would still be running well before that mileage.

kevineds 10th March 2010 17:02

blimey! 557K? sorry to hear about your experience :( hope you find a decent replacement 75/zt

chrissyboy 10th March 2010 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmw75 (Post 484191)
Hi, although a newbie I have taken some good advice from this forum and asked a few questions. I am now admitting my stupidity. I bought my 75 1.8 Auto 3 weeks ago from a 'proper' Ltd Co. dealer with a good stock of cars from £1k to £27k. "All our cars are HPI checked" etc. 2002 (02) Immaculate black, very nice interior, etc. 62000 miles, some history £1990 having been £2695.
Sudden severe water leak from thermo' housing, recovery truck into garage. Phone dealer to find man I dealt with on paternity leave (brief mobile conversation "can't be ar**ed with cars at moment", his stand in does not want to know, owner on holiday. I had to authorise repair. Garage then tells me engine shot, likely head gasket but cost me £231 plus recovery, BTW did I know it had been a Taxi? I paid for an HPI check last recorded milage - 557,000, yes 557k. Stand in has been persuaded to contact owner on holiday who has said will collect car and reimburse me on his return (2 weeks).
So unless someone amongst you has a nice, pref deisel, example I will not own a 75. Am very sad as I love it!!

what about a member called messenger ..i believe he still has a very nice tourer for sale .very well speced,and well maintained .send him a private message to see if it is still for sale ..

Kandyman 10th March 2010 17:09

I would contact Trading Standard and inform them of your situation,
even if the dealer does give you back all the monies you have paid out i would still want this dealer to be looked in to only to stop it happening again to another buyer.

pmw75 10th March 2010 17:13

I have been taking trading standards advice, quite happy for anyone to look at this report, am trying to copy it to an image, back soon.

slimsi 10th March 2010 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDotCom (Post 484201)
Sorry to hear this,
But always advise to do your own HPi check or see their paperwork to back up,
as well as old MOT's etc.
Plenty of decent cars out there.
Also contact Trading Standards if no joy.
Find it hard to believe a 1.8 taxi would still be running well before that mileage.

Why not? If a proper HG repair was done at some point then it should be fine unless I am missing something.

Tractor Boy 10th March 2010 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmw75 (Post 484191)

When you buy your next one (you know you will) dont settle for "some service history" there are lots of nice cars out there with full history, Remember a lot of dealers buy their cars from auction so they dont know anything about the car. They will proberbly give you your money back and chuck it back in the auction. I would rather buy private from someone who has had the car a while and looked after it, dont rush and buy with your eyes not your heart. good luck

Big John 10th March 2010 17:23

I had the same sort of thing happen to me some years ago, I took the garage to court and got my money back with all costs and interest. I will dig the file out and see if I can give you any advice.

Cheers

John