The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brooklands - Secrets of the Transport Museum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312061)

BRG75 31st March 2021 08:23

Brooklands - Secrets of the Transport Museum

I watched this last night full of hope.

Whilst the old footage was well worth being included, and the bike and cars were certainly of interest; I was a little surprised / disappointed in being shown how to change a tyre valve, and then inflating a tyre.

I will however certainly watch next week, and then see about the rest of the series.

FLYING BANANA 31st March 2021 08:51

Excellent museum in its self. Well worth a visit if you have never been. Last time I was there, before the lockdown, I had a wander around the grounds. Tucked away are vehicles waiting for restoration.
My all time favourite there is the remains of the Wellington bomber. Finding out where it ended up and how they retrieved it from its watery grave.

Not watched the tv program.

planenut 31st March 2021 10:15

Brooklands is an amazing place encompassing so much history. I suggested to them several years ago that they should drop the word "museum" and refer to it as an experience , the links to motor racing and aviation, the smells, the exhibits. Concorde, a chance to try out a motor racing simulator, great cafe/restaurant, the trials hill, the banked motor racing circuit, oh, and some more.

trikey 31st March 2021 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRG75 (Post 2874275)
I was a little surprised / disappointed in being shown how to change a tyre valve, and then inflating a tyre.

Thats because most of the masses are not car / bike folk, a simple task like that would cause carnage to Mr Joe Public.

We have all seen or heard stories of folk trying to put antifreeze in the oil filler hole etc!

roverbarmy 31st March 2021 10:52

Three men under an aeroplane supported on a hydraulic jack with no other apparent propping??? Ouch!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

clf 31st March 2021 13:22

I actually found the tyre valve and inflating the tyre actually specifically interesting (although it was stretched out far too long lol).

I have wondered in the past, 'do plane tyres (tubes) have a simple basic Schraeder valve, or how much air they inflate too etc. '. Surely they cannot use the same fittings as car and lorry tyres have etc.

I was more surprised with the condition of the the tyre itself though. It seemed to have been heavily cracked. Whilst it is no longer used for purpose, it is supporting a vast mass, and with the recent loss of air, would have weakened the sidewall of the plane tyre etc.

(I dont lie awake at night thinking of such things lol, but just find it interesting how similar technology or equipment is used in our everyday life in more exotic machinery)