The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electric seats started moving by themselves (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312597)

PaulR 26th April 2021 12:01

Electric seats started moving by themselves

I just thought that I had got the niggles on my 53 plate 75 sorted when the driver's memory seat started moving all the way back today. I can return it to the proper place by pressing the memory button but it suddenly goes all the way back again which is, of course, very unsafe.

Has anyone any thoughts about how to fix this? Can I disconnect the motor as a temporary fix?

Thank you

Paul

hogweed 26th April 2021 17:59

You could certainly disconnect the motor, or there may be a fuse somewhere – sorry I can't be more precise.

The switches are prone to breaking internally, as people (previous owners perhaps) often don't realise the switches are electric, and wrench them with the kind of force needed for mechanical levers.

I tried to fix mine, but it wasn’t possible, so I had to buy the entire valance complete with switches from eBay.

Good luck…

VVC-Geeza 26th April 2021 18:14

Are you sure you are not accidently catching the switch?This happens to me occasionally not when driving but when getting out in tight situations or cleaning seats etc.

PaulR 26th April 2021 20:05

Thanks for the replies. It happened as I was driving along - rather alarming. I am proud to say I have owned the car since 2008 so anything done by the previous owner would have become apparent by now!

I had a fiddle with the switch this evening and went for a drive and all seemed ok. There was nothing near the switch though so I will wait with baited breath for it to happen again.

Thanks again

Paul

stocktake 26th April 2021 20:14

Usual culprit is the seat belt, quite unnerving when it happens when driving, More prone to happen if your belt is slow to retract when you take it off as the slack at the bottom can get entangled in the switches

Ducati750cc 26th April 2021 20:39

A friend nearly had an accident when he was braking and the seat suddenly went back to it's fullest extent.

The cause was water in the loom and multi-plugs under the seat from a bad water leak, I can't remember exactly where from but do remember that corrosion was the cause of the water leak.

Mike Noc 26th April 2021 22:23

You haven't swapped keys have you? The memory seats have 'his and hers' settings depending on which key is used.

PaulR 27th April 2021 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2878447)
You haven't swapped keys have you? The memory seats have 'his and hers' settings depending on which key is used.

I didn't know that, but I am the only driver and the seat just went as far back as it could whilst I was driving. When it came to the end stop the motor was still trying to pull it back further.

It seems that it isn't a known fault so I am hoping it was a one off. I will drive the car further today and report back

PaulR 27th April 2021 18:13

I went out in it this afternoon and there were no problems with the seat. Whatever was causing it seems ok now fortunately.

Forestgreen 28th April 2021 19:53

I occasionally return to my car to find the driver's seat has moved whilst I've been away. Definitely haunted I'd say.

As an aside can anyone else move the seats with the key out and ignition off if the door is open but not if it's shut (or maybe it's the other way around?)