The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ferrite cores? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308146)

roverbarmy 25th September 2020 16:50

Ferrite cores?

My radio works perfectly on position 1 (accessories) but crackles and loses reception if the ignition is switched on (whether engine is running or not). I have read that aftermarket dashcams can interfere with the signal so am wondering if ferrite cores could be added somewhere to solve the problem? Where are these magic "cores" fitted exactly? I have seen them for sale on Ebay.:shrug:

clf 25th September 2020 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2838785)
My radio works perfectly on position 1 (accessories) but crackles and loses reception if the ignition is switched on (whether engine is running or not). I have read that aftermarket dashcams can interfere with the signal so am wondering if ferrite cores could be added somewhere to solve the problem? Where are these magic "cores" fitted exactly? I have seen them for sale on Ebay.:shrug:

I fitted some to mine when I had interference problems. I made a loop of the power cable (see HERE), and held it together with the ferrite core, approx 3 or 4 inches from the dashcam.

It made no difference.

I changed the power supply, with one similar to THIS and all was good again.

roverbarmy 26th September 2020 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2838786)
I fitted some to mine when I had interference problems. I made a loop of the power cable (see HERE), and held it together with the ferrite core, approx 3 or 4 inches from the dashcam.

It made no difference.

Many thanks. Got one on order now. Cheers.

Avulon 28th September 2020 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2838786)

It made no difference.

If it's the psu causing the issue then the ferrite bead should be at the psu end of the cable. In general ferrite beads when used to block a device transmitting interference will be at the end of the cable where the device causing interference is: this prevents the cable acting as a transmitting aerial. Where a bead is used to prevent outside interference affecting a device it's at the device end of the cable - The cable acts as a receiving aerial but the ferrite helps to block that interference from entering the device.

clf 28th September 2020 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2839213)
If it's the psu causing the issue then the ferrite bead should be at the psu end of the cable. In general ferrite beads when used to block a device transmitting interference will be at the end of the cable where the device causing interference is: this prevents the cable acting as a transmitting aerial. Where a bead is used to prevent outside interference affecting a device it's at the device end of the cable - The cable acts as a receiving aerial but the ferrite helps to block that interference from entering the device.

I never thought the PSU would have been the issue, as reception was fine when I unplugged the dash cam. I only changed the PSU as I thought the camera was failing in the heat, but couldnt understand it, (as it is common in Australia and far east), so tried a decent supply and camera worked well, but the interference disappeared too.

roverbarmy 29th September 2020 16:35

Success!

Thanks to CLF, I fitted the Amazon 12 - 5.volt convertor and the problem was solved immediately. I now have good, interference free reception. I may even start listening to some radio again. I couldn't get Terry Wogan though! (RIP Terry). The airwaves will be tweaking upstairs!;) Thanks again to all for the advice. Much appreciated. Mike :}

dattrike 29th September 2020 16:49

I think Ken Bruce sounds very much like Terry Wogan

roverbarmy 29th September 2020 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dattrike (Post 2839431)
I think Ken Bruce sounds very much like Terry Wogan

Ah! I see that you are from Gloucestershire! :getmecoat::D