The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front brake calipers (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314312)

operamagorum 25th July 2021 17:23

Front brake calipers

Hi All
I need to replace a front brake caliper, so will do both.
I can't find any at prices that don't make my eyes bleed.
Pretty sure that I read somewhere that BMW E46 calipers are compatible.
Anyone know?.....and if possible supply a part number
Thanks in advance
Geoff

AndyN01 25th July 2021 21:48

What's happened so that you need to replace the caliper

Could it not be rebuilt with new seals etc?

operamagorum 25th July 2021 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2892869)
What's happened so that you need to replace the caliper

Could it not be rebuilt with new seals etc?

Normally, yes, but this one has a snapped off bleed screw. Too much agg

Number 6 25th July 2021 22:32

Front Brakes

There seems to be a trend for replacing/repairing front brake-s at the moment.

I have just had to replace my front N/S due to it seizing. I managed to pick up a pair of very good condition callipers and carriers(€50)).. and swapped them both over.It is amazing how improved the braking is now.

xsport 25th July 2021 23:08

there are plenty of decent calipers even on ebay. good quality ones too. have a good search. reasonable prices that are nowhere near rimmers. are you aware that nearly all including main parts suppliers are supplied with reworked used parts and these are not on an exchange bassis either, and you and i will not tell the difference. if it was me i would reservice my old ones as they have got to come off anyway, if you replace them with either exchange units or new. put yourself some new bleed nipples in and seals if they are not pitted in the bores. never buy the aluminium nipples ... they snap as easy as carrots. get some st/st ones or originals from rimmers. otherwise if you cant be bothered have a good search for replacements. ... ;)

clf 26th July 2021 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by operamagorum (Post 2892824)
Hi All
I need to replace a front brake caliper, so will do both.
I can't find any at prices that don't make my eyes bleed.
Pretty sure that I read somewhere that BMW E46 calipers are compatible.
Anyone know?.....and if possible supply a part number
Thanks in advance
Geoff

From what I believe, the BMW compatible calipers are for the 190 (and V8) fronts (your 330 in your profile may actually be the same as the 190).

For the 'standard' calipers I do not believe them to have a BMW equivalent. Speak to one of the traders on here for used ones, I would consider refurbishing them (do both) though, with a seal kit from a company like BrakesInt.

You should be able to get new or refurbished ones relatively cheaply too - again I would consider doing both (perhaps just refurbishing the other side) for the sake of balance.