The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2.5 V6 consumption (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=288753)

Dorchester2 3rd October 2018 08:42

2.5 V6 consumption

Always gobsmacked & dreaming when I read in a V6 advert:
"Extra Urban mpg 37.7 mpg"

I'm well aware that so far car makers figures are largely underestimated but even without A/C, nearly always on country roads or motorways (i.e. extra urban), with VIS motors & engine in perfect order, fine oil renewed every year, recent platinum spark plugs, fine and slightly over inflated tyres, in eco mode and with a light foot on the pedal, never ever was I able to do far better than a 30 mpg (9.5L/100km) average (with full 95ron - I'm not talking about E85 here) on the long run in my Cowley built KV6.

How do you reckon of that and how do you manage your KV6 2.5 saloon consumption guys?
Who could be the winner?

trikey 3rd October 2018 10:15

30.0 is the most I have ever got!

Teflon 3rd October 2018 10:20

I've had mid '30s from my 2.0 KV6 in the past, but that was when I was regularly commuting using motorways. I find that it's the cold starts that really hits the consumption, so shorter journeys really punish the wallet.

Cliff

StewartIngram 3rd October 2018 11:20

My previous 2.5 KV6 regularly gave me 32 on local journeys. Mileage checked against known distances measured when I worked with the Police. On long journeys, 37-38mpg. And this was on either petrol or lpg. I swapped it about 18 months ago for a later model, & transferred the lpg over. This one has the larger wheels, so theoretically should be better. I haven't checked actual mpg, but I use mileage as a rudimentary fuel gauge on lpg, looking for 200 miles a tank ( and usually getting more). The present one gets around 225-230 miles per fill, sometimes a little more, , the old one had a max of 215. And, I find a/c doesn't make any difference to note.
So much depends on variables when checking mpg though. Driving standards, not wasting unnecessary fuel, driving conditions, weather, how well the car is maintained, load in the car, etc.
I admit that when young, I taught myself to be a frugal driver, (though lack of funds!), by using a vacuum gauge; remember them?
And just to remind you that I pay around 55p/litre for lpg…. less than 1/2 price of petrol.... so cost wise double the mpg!

Stewart

roverbarmy 3rd October 2018 11:34

26 - 30 on my KV6 2.0 litre round town. :( More on a long run, but worth it for the sheer joy it brings! :)

KevF6 3rd October 2018 11:45

I get 37.6mpg most days in my 2.5ltr on country roads no traffic, and motorway mixed with city roads, again not much traffic 42mpg. When my wife was doing short journeys it was 19!

Ravinder 3rd October 2018 14:20

Currently getting around 20mpg town driving in 2.5 V6 auto. Not bothered, though. As long as everything is working as it should be.

Dorchester2 3rd October 2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by StewartIngram (Post 2674298)
My previous 2.5 KV6 regularly gave me 32 on local journeys.
[...]

And just to remind you that I pay around 55p/litre for lpg…. less than 1/2 price of petrol.... so cost wise double the mpg!
Stewart

Not bad.
Actually I'm fuelling up with E85, around 60/65 euro cents/litre, i.e. 55p/litre as well! :}

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevF6 (Post 2674302)
I get 37.6mpg most days in my 2.5ltr on country roads no traffic, and motorway mixed with city roads, again not much traffic 42mpg. When my wife was doing short journeys it was 19!

Congratulations for your very performing consumption! I'm puzzled!

So 30mpg at my best (and often a bit worse), that should be my feminine side! :p:

75c 3rd October 2018 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by StewartIngram (Post 2674298)
My previous 2.5 KV6 regularly gave me 32 on local journeys. Mileage checked against known distances measured when I worked with the Police.

What did you do when you worked with the police?

grout20 3rd October 2018 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevF6 (Post 2674302)

Hi Kevin

I'm getting similar mpg in my 2.5 Auto although being my "hobby" car nearly all my use is for longer journeys only ... some of them going nowhere other than enjoying the drive!

"Luckily" my wife doesn't drive it at all but I can understand the 19mpg if it was ever used as a runabout around town.

I also use the technique someone mentioned on another thread ie put £20 of petrol in every now and again and it feels less painful .... and gives another chance for a drive!

Happy Roving, all

John