The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1.8 Engine. Unfair Criticism? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=258715)

BoroRover 19th December 2016 07:51

1.8 Engine. Unfair Criticism?

It is accepted that the 1.8 suffered from HGV in its early years. But is there any evidence that a properly looked after, properly serviced 1.8 is still considered to be avoided when considering purchase ? The coolant, (considering the small amount, can disappear quickly, we know that), but I service my 1.8 at the intervals recommended, and change belts, water pump, at the advised mileage. 25k of trouble free miles, my 1.8 at 100k is as strong as ever. I was sad to see a recent post that driving a 1.8 for an hour without overheating was some sort of triumph? Well I'm more than happy with mine.

kbonney88 19th December 2016 08:05

The K series is a fantastic engine.. I drive my 1.8 75 all over the country regularly.. scotland to wigan etc.. its done 137, miles now and I never worry that it will overheat.

I'd have a 1.8 any day..

:xmas-smiley-032:

murphyv310 19th December 2016 08:07

Hi.
One of the problems is in recent years is your average motorist won't do daily and weekly checks. It is made worse in our cars by a header tank that is literally a joke. The other thing is can some of the motoring public actually interpret why they have to top up coolant, or do they know the crazy way the level is marked or anything about bleeding?
In a way Rover only had themselves to blame with the 1.8 and its inadequate cooling system, no decent reserve, silly plastic Tee pieces, fan issues, PRT modification that really wasn't the answer.

In the hands of someone that does know the issues the 1.8 is a superb unit, smooth, excellent power to weight ratio, quiet. I have heard of many going for years with no HGF, a lot though is down to the owner, weekly checks and getting little jobs done in a timely way before they cause another issue or breakdown.

Oh and yes I would have another 1.8 TBH mine was better than the V6 I currently have, access being great and the 1.8 is far less fiddly to do jobs on plus far more economical.

Nick Greg 19th December 2016 08:52

Check my coolant once a week and use the ODB display to monitor temperature. Yes it did have a new head gasket (precautionary) 2 years ago and has run sweet as a nut ever since. Its an Auto 1.8T and one of best runners I have had to date.Smooth, nice compromise between power and economy. Great engine.

zedhed 19th December 2016 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyv310 (Post 2418556)
Hi.
One of the problems is in recent years is your average motorist won't do daily and weekly checks. It is made worse in our cars by a header tank that is literally a joke. The other thing is can some of the motoring public actually interpret why they have to top up coolant, or do they know the crazy way the level is marked or anything about bleeding?
In a way Rover only had themselves to blame with the 1.8 and its inadequate cooling system, no decent reserve, silly plastic Tee pieces, fan issues, PRT modification that really wasn't the answer.

In the hands of someone that does know the issues the 1.8 is a superb unit, smooth, excellent power to weight ratio, quiet. I have heard of many going for years with no HGF, a lot though is down to the owner, weekly checks and getting little jobs done in a timely way before they cause another issue or breakdown.

Oh and yes I would have another 1.8 TBH mine was better than the V6 I currently have, access being great and the 1.8 is far less fiddly to do jobs on plus far more economical.

wonder if it's possible to fit a bigger header tank,and if it will help at all:icon_rolleyes:

Heddy 19th December 2016 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2418591)
wonder if it's possible to fit a bigger header tank,and if it will help at all:icon_rolleyes:

I often wondered that. The tales of woe regarding the 1.8 have certainly turned me away from them. I did test drive one before the CDT, got a faint whiff of coolant (maybe nothing to worry about) and I walked away. I'd be forever wondering if all was well TBH.

Plezier 19th December 2016 09:32

Daily checks ???????????? most drivers never do any checks and doubt many even know how to release the bonnet on their cars. The small volume of coolant is to allow fast warm up times to keep emissions down. Modern cars are not supposed to last much past the warrenty period ........................... they are disposable and NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the amount raw materials and energy required to make them. So much for recycle and be green.......................... profits and excessive ones are the goal nothing else.

suzublu 19th December 2016 09:49

Not wishing to get into another which engine is best debate, I have to say, in my opinion, the 1.8 is the easiest to work on, cheapest, best to drive, & with precautionary measures taken, ie belts & water pump changes, alloy inlet manifold, proper temp. gauge fitted, will last as long as any of the other engines. My head gasket went at 29k miles, owned by the previous owner, a proper job done in fitting new gasket, now on 89k without issues. Along with induction air filter, stainless exhaust, it even sounds nice too:drool4::D

SkunkMunkey3000 19th December 2016 10:03

I've had 2 K-series engines in the past and never had problems with HGF - Everything else on those cars broke but never the engines!

roverbarmy 19th December 2016 10:12

I have had several cars fitted with the K series engines. I have had to change two head gaskets. Both were on cars that were over 10 years old and both had deterioration to the seal between coolant and oil passageways. Both were spotted early by evidence of a mist of oil on the top of the coolant in the header tank, white globules on the filler and colour difference to the oil. Both engines have run perfectly well, never overheated and continue to run well. As the cambelts need changing every six years, it makes sense to me, to bite the bullet and go the extra few quid to renew the headgasket at the same time, along with water pump and tensioners.
Just my opininion for what it is worth!
:laugh: