The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mis-fire (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316861)

FLYING BANANA 16th December 2021 14:52

Mis-fire

Now the Bear throws up another problem. Under power she hesitates, like a mis-fire but only on the go. Stationary she revs ok. I’m assuming it’s a coil pack problem.

Yorkshire GOC 16th December 2021 17:20

A lesson learnt over years- any mis fire and the first thing to consider is a faulty coil pack and or leads - exacerbated in colder weather. Dont forget any sustained driving with a repeating misfire can knacker your Cat as i know to my cost.:icon_redface:

planenut 16th December 2021 17:28

Your cars only do this to enhance your learning!

SCP440 16th December 2021 17:37

Fit a set of MSD's, it will be the best money you have spent. It will start easier hot or cold and you will feel the difference when you drive.

FLYING BANANA 16th December 2021 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2912594)
Fit a set of MSD's, it will be the best money you have spent. It will start easier hot or cold and you will feel the difference when you drive.

Best place to buy these MSD’s?

trikey 16th December 2021 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912596)

Rock auto for all Crown Victoria stuff Bob :xmas-smiley-008:

Number 6 16th December 2021 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2912599)
Rock auto for all Crown Victoria stuff Bob :xmas-smiley-008:

Please enlighten me MSD,s ??

Teflon 16th December 2021 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2912600)

A performance part manufacturer: https://www.holley.com/brands/msd/

Cliff

SCP440 16th December 2021 21:10

You wont get a set of MSD's from Rock Auto. These are high powered better quality ignition coils.

I usually have a look on US Ebay and Amazon but if you put that part number in Google you should have some options. Probably going to be £250 ish by the time you have paid the shipping and import duty.

Just looked and there are a set here https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSD-82428-B...%2C1135&sr=8-1

FLYING BANANA 16th December 2021 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2912627)
You wont get a set of MSD's from Rock Auto. These are high powered better quality ignition coils.

I usually have a look on US Ebay and Amazon but if you put that part number in Google you should have some options. Probably going to be £250 ish by the time you have paid the shipping and import duty.

Just looked and there are a set here https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSD-82428-B...%2C1135&sr=8-1

Many thanks but I refuse to deal with Amazon as they allowed my credit card to be cloned twice. But I will look on the US eBay site.

ceedy 17th December 2021 07:16

Bob,
Try eBay .com (USA) . I got my spare set from there , loads of options inc. MSD

Even eBay UK have a lot..

DeeJ 17th December 2021 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912596)

European distributer, Gooze in Holland. Very fast service.
https://www.gooze.com/5649/8242-msd-...mber=MSD-82428

SCP440 17th December 2021 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912632)
Many thanks but I refuse to deal with Amazon as they allowed my credit card to be cloned twice. But I will look on the US eBay site.

I have heard about that before, the way to get around it is use an American Express card, American Express are on your side what ever the problem unlike a lot of Credit cards. Yes there is an annual fee but get one with rewards and you more than get the fee cost back. My card got cloned while on Holiday a couple of years ago, they cancelled it, refunded the amount that had been scammed immediatly and the best bit had a courier sent to me with a new card the following day at my holiday address.

COLVERT 18th December 2021 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2912594)

They seem to sell many parts. Which ones do you mean or do you mean everything they sell.--That could be expensive as the OP might have any of those ignition parts faulty.---:shocked::shocked::shocked:

ceedy 18th December 2021 12:21

There's a Set of used Std ones on Fleabay BOB ? , linky

C

FLYING BANANA 18th December 2021 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2912827)
There's a Set of used Std ones on Fleabay BOB ? , linky

C

I’ve bid on them. Cheers Chris.

stevestrat 18th December 2021 13:30

Seven available but selling singly not as a "set".

FLYING BANANA 18th December 2021 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2912838)
Seven available but selling singly not as a "set".

Ah! I didn’t read that bit correctly. Hopefully I’ll get outbid. Started to save up for a brand new red topped ones. Might have to sign up for a paper round. “Anyone seen my cycle clips”.

DeeJ 18th December 2021 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912845)
Ah! I didn’t read that bit correctly. Hopefully I’ll get outbid. Started to save up for a brand new red topped ones. Might have to sign up for a paper round. “Anyone seen my cycle clips”.

If one has failed, Peter, the eBay seller, has probably decide that replacing all 8 would be sensible, rather than being let down again, hence the 7 left over. Probably selling those old ones now to "subsidise" his MSD purchase !

Never regretted buying my MSD's. Now I've still got 7 original old MGR ones over too, but although all were "working" when I swapped them out, I would feel guilty about actually asking money for them; 2nd hand COP's? Emergency use only, surely.

stevestrat 18th December 2021 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912845)
Ah! I didn’t read that bit correctly.

You have to scroll down to the item description:

Used but in good working order

7 available (replaced all 8 but only one that had failed.
This auction if for 1 item

FLYING BANANA 18th December 2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2912896)
You have to scroll down to the item description:

Used but in good working order

7 available (replaced all 8 but only one that had failed.
This auction if for 1 item

One day you may reach my age, then you’ll understand.

Just having a senior moment.

COLVERT 18th December 2021 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912632)

Download Trusteer endpoint protection for free and use it.

Recommended by my bank.--It encodes your card and sends the code, not your number.--Those tea-leaves can't get your card number.

Feel safe and then have a ------------:christmas:

COLVERT 18th December 2021 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2912900)
One day you may reach my age, then you’ll understand.

Just having a senior moment.

Now, now young man. You can only have a senior moment when you reach my age and not before.---:icon_lol:

COLVERT 19th December 2021 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2912920)
Download Trusteer endpoint protection for free and use it.

Recommended by my bank.--It encodes your card and sends the code, not your number.--Those tea-leaves can't get your card number.

Feel safe and then have a ------------:christmas:

Bob. ---Have you given any thought to this, and any other readers too, because it's free and effective for any purchases you might make on line.

FLYING BANANA 19th December 2021 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2913050)
Bob. ---Have you given any thought to this, and any other readers too, because it's free and effective for any purchases you might make on line.

Sorry but not really been in the mood to look into it today, but I will tomorrow. Many thanks for the advice.

FLYING BANANA 26th December 2021 17:07

Well I bid on the said single item and won it for £8 plus p&p. However today I have received a message from eBay telling me that my order has been cancelled and my money refunded.

The seller sent me two messages, bot the same. He has informed me that he is having issues with the advert on Gumtree.
More than likely he was hoping for more money to be raised on the item.

SCP440 26th December 2021 19:30

If you want a single one my local Motor Factor got one for me. There are also some single new ones listed on Ebay.

Steve

Arctic 27th December 2021 12:41

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2913923)
Well I bid on the said single item and won it for £8 plus p&p. However today I have received a message from eBay telling me that my order has been cancelled and my money refunded.

The seller sent me two messages, bot the same. He has informed me that he is having issues with the advert on Gumtree.
More than likely he was hoping for more money to be raised on the item.[/QUOTE

]

Seems these are back up for sale ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125070263...8AAOSwklRhZUhg

FLYING BANANA 27th December 2021 13:32

[QUOTE=Arctic;2913999]
Quote:

]

Seems these are back up for sale ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125070263...8AAOSwklRhZUhg
Well I shall not be bidding.

FLYING BANANA 27th December 2021 13:35

This is the message I got from eBay

Hi Bob,
We are sorry to let you know that peterone1 cancelled your order and mentioned the cancelled reason as 'I'm out of stock or the item is damaged.'
You received a refund back to your original payment method, you don't need to do anything else. It may take 3 to 5 working days for the refund to be completed.

ryszard 27th December 2021 14:27

Hi, similar to my experience a while ago,ordered a hallway runner to put under one of my motorbikes,came back with that message,so ordered another through a different supplier and got the same message.When I asked for a refund e bay then added that I (the buyer)had cancelled the order!
Regards Ryszard,and have a safe new year.😷

FLYING BANANA 4th January 2022 11:38

The Bear was very reluctant to start this morning. I have been out starting her up every couple of days. I let her warm up before pulling away. Managed to get her to the garage, although she mis-fired all the way. (It’s less than a mile to the garage).

DeeJ 4th January 2022 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2914958)
The Bear was very reluctant to start this morning. I have been out starting her up every couple of days. I let her warm up before pulling away. Managed to get her to the garage, although she mis-fired all the way. (It’s less than a mile to the garage).

Bite the bullet and order a set of MSD's from Gooze.
Suspect your problem will be solved, and the car will run a bunch better than before the problem set in too.

David

Jeff Turbo 5th January 2022 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2914958)

How many coil packs do you need? I have two complete sets doing nothing that I removed from my V8's. Nothing wrong with them I just upgraded and you can have a couple of single ones if you need for nothing

FLYING BANANA 5th January 2022 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Turbo (Post 2915076)
How many coil packs do you need? I have two complete sets doing nothing that I removed from my V8's. Nothing wrong with them I just upgraded and you can have a couple of single ones if you need for nothing

The garage have reported that there appears to be nothing wrong with the coil packs. They have changed the plugs though.

They have said that their two code readers, Bosch and Snap On, are both coming up with the same fault code, P0602, which is pointing to the ECU. This ECU was fitted by Retro Sports Cars about 4 years ago.

Trying to get hold of the garage now to ask for there advice.

But many thanks for your offer which I may still take you up on.

Jeff Turbo 5th January 2022 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2915082)
The garage have reported that there appears to be nothing wrong with the coil packs. They have changed the plugs though.

They have said that their two code readers, Bosch and Snap On, are both coming up with the same fault code, P0602, which is pointing to the ECU. This ECU was fitted by Retro Sports Cars about 4 years ago.

Trying to get hold of the garage now to ask for there advice.

But many thanks for your offer which I may still take you up on.

No worries and im sure Chris can fix your ecu as he fitted it

FLYING BANANA 6th January 2022 12:42

Got a reply from Chris Flanagan, and it reads

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your car.

The fault code you are getting is because you have the Kenne Bell tune in the ecu. All cars with a non factory calibration show that fault code. I would suspect its either a faulty coil pack, injector or a wiring fault.
If I can be of any more help please don’t hesitate to contact me.

So Jeff you have a pm re the coil packs.

Jeff Turbo 6th January 2022 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2915269)
Got a reply from Chris Flanagan, and it reads

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your car.

The fault code you are getting is because you have the Kenne Bell tune in the ecu. All cars with a non factory calibration show that fault code. I would suspect its either a faulty coil pack, injector or a wiring fault.
If I can be of any more help please don’t hesitate to contact me.

So Jeff you have a pm re the coil packs.

And replied bob

BigRuss 6th January 2022 20:39

Check the engine breather pipes that run from each head to the inlet if either of those is holed it can cause rough running and a misfire.

Had one with a strange misfire a few years ago now, tried plugs, known good coil packs and wiring, found it by accident when my finger felt a split ;)

Russ

Jeff Turbo 7th January 2022 14:31

And posted via Hermes Bob, should be with you sometime next week I expect

FLYING BANANA 9th January 2022 10:06

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered the High Performance coil packs from Rock Auto. Going for a lay down in a dark room now.

DRWMGTF 9th January 2022 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2912600)

And me.
Coil packs?
What is so special about them?
And what is MSD an abbreviation for?
Thanks for enlightening me.
Regards David

FLYING BANANA 9th January 2022 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRWMGTF (Post 2915670)
And me.
Coil packs?
What is so special about them?
And what is MSD an abbreviation for?
Thanks for enlightening me.
Regards David

No idea what MSD stands for. Just the name of the manufacturer I suppose. They can be found on the Holley page.

ceedy 9th January 2022 12:36

MSD is the company name and comes from their original design concepts of . ..... Multiple Spark Discharge :D

edwardmk 9th January 2022 20:56

For what it's worth, my V8 developed an annoying misfire at around 35k miles some years back. Main dealer recommended to change all the plugs at visit one. No change, so I was then told one of the 'Cops' should be replaced as it was faulty. That one standard coil pack cost me almost £300. Drove off and the misfire was still there. I asked for the 'old' pack back, and was informed it had already gone to scrap. They then wanted to replace all the other packs as they were suspect. Cost was to be nearly £2k. I declined and took the car home. I ordered MSD's from the states which cost me around $28 each at the time. A few days after ordering the MSD's I spent the best part of four hours thoroughly cleaning and checking every connector I could find in the engine bay while waiting for the MSD's to arrive.
To my great surprise, the cleaning job fixed the misfire and it hasn't returned( at over £70k miles now.) The MSD's are all in the spare parts bin, but I might fit them one day to see if it helps with the odd little stutters I get when the car is cold. I also read somewhere that the wrong MSD's might damage the engine which put me off fitting them. :getmecoat:

Jeff Turbo 10th January 2022 06:11

Have the ones I sent over arrived then Bob and you tested to see if that was the problem as it's not been proven yet? If not I personally have waited a couple of days till I fitted the replacements I sent over then gone from there.
You may just have wasted your money

FLYING BANANA 10th January 2022 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Turbo (Post 2915800)
Have the ones I sent over arrived then Bob and you tested to see if that was the problem as it's not been proven yet? If not I personally have waited a couple of days till I fitted the replacements I sent over then gone from there.
You may just have wasted your money

Hermes have contacted me to say that they are on there way.

FLYING BANANA 10th January 2022 13:12

The coil packs have arrived from Jeff. Now with the garage who have had no luck in finding any. So I’m very thankful to Jeff for his kind offer.

That’s what the club is all about, helping one and other out.

Jeff Turbo 11th January 2022 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2915855)
The coil packs have arrived from Jeff. Now with the garage who have had no luck in finding any. So I’m very thankful to Jeff for his kind offer.

That’s what the club is all about, helping one and other out.

Not a problem, I was under the impression you had also bought a set from Rock Auto before these arrived?

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2022 15:36

Still haven’t got the car back. Usually the garage are very good but for some reason they forgot about the Bear. Now hoping it will be ready by Monday.

COLVERT 14th January 2022 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2913050)

Bob. Short term memory not as good as it was ???

Use this FREE insurance you said you'd look into.--Did you ??--Did you ??.

NO !!!!!!!!

:smilie_re:--Do it now. You said in an earlier post that this forum was all about helping folk.--:shrug:

Well that's what I'm up to.--Now, ball in your court.---:D:D:D

FLYING BANANA 14th January 2022 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2916435)
Bob. Short term memory not as good as it was ???

Use this FREE insurance you said you'd look into.--Did you ??--Did you ??.

NO !!!!!!!!

:smilie_re:--Do it now. You said in an earlier post that this forum was all about helping folk.--:shrug:

Well that's what I'm up to.--Now, ball in your court.---:D:D:D

Apologies I have not. Had other things to sort out. I’m at that funny age. But thanks for the reminder, I will have a look, honestly.

DeeJ 18th January 2022 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2916405)
Still haven’t got the car back. Usually the garage are very good but for some reason they forgot about the Bear. Now hoping it will be ready by Monday.

What was the verdict then?

FLYING BANANA 18th January 2022 19:24

I still have not got the car back. I phoned last Friday and was assured the car would be ready Monday. Will be phoning tomorrow and unless it’s not being worked on I will be getting the car home. And I’ll go from there. Possibly getting the AA out to assist.

ceedy 19th January 2022 09:56

Bob,

I see your "failed" ebay transaction has reappeared with a "New" Zero rated user. :eek:

Especially as they were "out of stock" :D

Wasn't even smart enough to change the photos :duh::duh:

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2914004)
This is the message I got from eBay

Hi Bob,
We are sorry to let you know that peterone1 cancelled your order and mentioned the cancelled reason as 'I'm out of stock or the item is damaged.'
You received a refund back to your original payment method, you don't need to do anything else. It may take 3 to 5 working days for the refund to be completed.

FLYING BANANA 24th January 2022 11:41

Home, but………

…………………….. not fixed. The garage fitted the new coil packs I bought from Rock Auto. But the car still has the mis-fire. I collected the car this morning and drove her home. Seemed to be running ok till you put your foot down then she pops and bangs.

So the Bear is now booked in with Retro Sports Cars for Chris Flanagan to work his magic on. She is being collected on Wednesday and taken up on a trailer.
There is a list of other jobs that need doing anyway, so I might as well get them all done.

Then she will be going up For Sale. Rarely gets used and I would rather spend the money on Banana.

edwardmk 24th January 2022 18:48

I've acquired a similar misfire with the V8 in the last 24 hrs. When warm, runs fine until you try to accelerate and then not happy. Today an engine warning light came on. When I parked her around three weeks ago I left her on a ctek charger. She had been running fine, so I'm wondering what might have happened while parked up? She started first time but it's not the same car I parked three weeks ago.:shrug:

FLYING BANANA 24th January 2022 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2917851)
I've acquired a similar misfire with the V8 in the last 24 hrs. When warm, runs fine until you try to accelerate and then not happy. Today an engine warning light came on. When I parked her around three weeks ago I left her on a ctek charger. She had been running fine, so I'm wondering what might have happened while parked up? She started first time but it's not the same car I parked three weeks ago.:shrug:

I had a lengthy phone call with Chris Flanagan, from Retro Sports Cars, into what might be causing the problem. In my case it might be down to the spark plugs. I was unaware that the plugs are different on the supercharged cars. The heat causes them to burn out.

In your case have a look to see in any dampness is affecting the plugs/coil packs. Or it might be an injector.

Good luck with sorting it out.

edwardmk 24th January 2022 19:32

I asked for the plugs to be changed at the last service but apparently the (main dealer) couldn't get the coil packs off to get access to the plugs as the retaining screws were just spinning. However she was running fine until I parked her up, so I'll have a good look this weekend. Last time a good clean of all the connectors did the trick, so worth trying that again, but the engine warning light will need investigation, and new plugs are overdue too. Hopefully just a plug change will revive the Bear for yourself Bob.

BlueMustang 27th March 2022 18:20

I used to own 457 and the only starting/running problem I had was probably fuel vapourization
when starting the car on a very hot day, after it had been left for 5/10 mins when engine was already hot.

When I had no. 50 I had two running problems.

One was, as Big Russ said, a split in a breather hose (I think it went across the top of the engine and had foam around it).

The other was dampness on the rubber boot part of the coil pack and around the sparkplug.
I think it was plug no.8 (at the rear on the nearside).
You would need to remove the coilpack to see the dampness, and see if the sparkplug has any rust on it.

edwardmk 27th April 2022 20:33

Collected the V8 after it had been parked up for a month due to 1)the misfire, 2) the engine warning light, 3) floppy manual linkage and 4) a toc toc toc noise seemingly from the rear driver side wheel region related to wheel rotation speed.
Started first time. No misfire and the engine warning light had turned itself off.
A friendly gremlin?:bowdown:. Curious the engine warning light reset itself while just parked:shrug: Wish said gremlin had found the time to fix the other issues :} Nevertheless, she's going to be my daily driver for the next few days ( until I fix the sudden misfire on the Astra turbo ). I'd almost forgotten what a great driver's car the ZT 260 is. Now spotlessly cleaned and waiting for the first seagull!

ceedy 27th April 2022 20:47

No 50 as tis today .. still wilth me :D

https://i.imgur.com/q3TuevG.jpg

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMustang (Post 2925901)
I used to own 457 and the only starting/running problem I had was probably fuel vapourization
when starting the car on a very hot day, after it had been left for 5/10 mins when engine was already hot.

When I had no. 50 I had two running problems.

One was, as Big Russ said, a split in a breather hose (I think it went across the top of the engine and had foam around it).

The other was dampness on the rubber boot part of the coil pack and around the sparkplug.
I think it was plug no.8 (at the rear on the nearside).
You would need to remove the coilpack to see the dampness, and see if the sparkplug has any rust on it.

edwardmk 2nd May 2022 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2930054)
No 50 as tis today .. still wilth me :D

https://i.imgur.com/q3TuevG.jpg

Chris

Not sure of my number but it’s a 2004. Been with me since I acquired her for half price when Rover went bust.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c5e1caa265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FLYING BANANA 2nd May 2022 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2930629)
Not sure of my number but it’s a 2004. Been with me since I acquired her for half price when Rover went bust.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c5e1caa265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last 3 numbers on your vin number will give you the build number.

edwardmk 2nd May 2022 20:26

Number 318 then :}

ryszard 2nd May 2022 21:32

You win!Mine is 319.Regards Ry...