The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   It's that clutch again! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317173)

PaulR 10th January 2022 09:04

Interesting that another diesel owner has had this problem. The slave cylinder fitted by MrClutch when I had it replaced years ago lasted the life of the clutch with no problems. Ironically the original master cylinder was fine, I just thought I would get the whole thing done when I had it changed again.

Rather than messing around I think I will go back there.

PaulR 11th January 2022 10:07

I topped up the reservoir yesterday which restored the clutch to normal operation. I only had a 5ml syringe to do this so didn't get a lot in before frustration set in. I have ordered a larger one and will put more fluid in then wait and see what happens.

My old Rover P4 had a rod operated clutch - simple, robust and leak-free!!

Ducati750cc 11th January 2022 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulR (Post 2915957)
I topped up the reservoir yesterday which restored the clutch to normal operation. I only had a 5ml syringe to do this so didn't get a lot in before frustration set in. I have ordered a larger one and will put more fluid in then wait and see what happens.

My old Rover P4 had a rod operated clutch - simple, robust and leak-free!!

A little tip, if the syringe has a rubber seal, many do, as soon as you've finished with it work some warm water with a bit of washing up liquid through it, then the same with some warm clear water, remove the plunger then put it somewhere to dry, ready for the next time.

The reason being that the seals and brake fluid don't get along too well if in contact long term, as Pikey in Dads Army said " They don't like it up em " 😨🤭

PaulR 11th January 2022 18:27

Thanks for the information. I will do that

sylvester 12th January 2022 11:41

I had no end of grief with the clutch on my 75 tourer and tried all ways to bleed it - it would run OK for a few miles then start playing up.
Eventually I gave up and sought the help of Apple Rover in nearby Meopham.
I was half convinced that I might be looking at a gearbox off job and a bill in excess of £1000 but their chief technician was convinced without looking - given my symptoms that the fault lay with a leaking master cylinder. I told him it had been replaced by one from the afformentioned supplier and that seemed to further persuade him that that's where the fault lay as these items are notorious for having a very short life!
Anyway, they replaced the master cylinder with a genuine Rover item which when supplied comes complete, sealed with its connecting pipe. The bill came to about £250. I've been using the car now since the autumn including a couple of long trips with no issue whatsoever.

PaulR 12th January 2022 12:45

There is no sign of leakage on the master cylinder but the fluid had disappeared from the reservoir. I am hoping that any leak is small and I can keep it going for a while longer.

COLVERT 13th January 2022 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulR (Post 2916103)
There is no sign of leakage on the master cylinder but the fluid had disappeared from the reservoir. I am hoping that any leak is small and I can keep it going for a while longer.

If the fluid level is dropping and there is no sign of a leak at the central joint then it can only be leaking out of the slave cylinder in the gearbox.

If you have an under-tray then it could be dripping down on to this not on the floor where it would be obvious. It leaks at the bottom of the gear-box joint with the engine.

PaulR 13th January 2022 19:10

Thanks for the information. I have decided to keep it going for a while if I can then to get a Borg and Beck replacement from Mr Clutch. My previous one came from there and I had no problems with it. I went for the replacement with metal cylinders because that seemed to be the most robust and trouble free but in retrospect that does not appear to be the case.

Would there be any problems going back to a plastic slave cylinder in view of the metal piping now fitted?

COLVERT 14th January 2022 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulR (Post 2916288)
Thanks for the information. I have decided to keep it going for a while if I can then to get a Borg and Beck replacement from Mr Clutch. My previous one came from there and I had no problems with it. I went for the replacement with metal cylinders because that seemed to be the most robust and trouble free but in retrospect that does not appear to be the case.

Would there be any problems going back to a plastic slave cylinder in view of the metal piping now fitted?

Trikey could answer that question.--;)

trikey 14th January 2022 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2916438)
Trikey could answer that question.--;)

i shall try....

Yes, it would be a problem, you would have to refit the plastic pipe to be compatible with the original cylinder.

On the plus side, the vibrations into the cam from the copper pipe would be gone