The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KV6 engine rattle/grinding - *not* inlet manifold? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=308535)

SD1too 14th October 2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2842264)
New pistons and liners ...

Thanks Cliff. What was the mileage at the time and was a reason found for this rare condition?

Simon

Teflon 14th October 2020 15:01

Mileage was around 76K, so pretty low. Speaking with Russell and subsequently another ex MGR mechanic, I don't think the issue is as quite as rare as you may imagine, rather it simply goes undiagnosed, or mis-diagnosed. By no means common though.

As for the root cause, it's up for debate. Russell used to work for a main dealer some years back, and said the issue was quite common in low mileage 1.4 K series. One common factor was that the cars in question had all lead a very gentle life and been treated with "kid gloves" as they say - much as I treat mine (it rarely goes over 3K revs). Russells advice going forward was to let the engine work a bit every now and then. No driving like a loon, but just hold it in a low gear a little longer than normal once in a while to give it some excercise.

Interestingly, whilst I had a shed full of engine bits, I was finally able to check the pin holes in the cam covers. Both were perfectly clear - not sure why that should surprise me, but it did nonetheless :}.

Cliff

SD1too 14th October 2020 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2842338)
Mileage was around 76K, so pretty low ... As for the root cause, it's up for debate.

Thanks for this Cliff. :}
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2842338)
I was finally able to check the pin holes in the cam covers. Both were perfectly clear ...

Congratulations! Could it be down to diligent oil changing maybe?

Simon

bl52krz 15th October 2020 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2842173)
Here's what mine sounded like - more of a knocking than a grinding (noise starts at around the 18 second point):

The knock would only occur when the engine was stone cold, and only for a few seconds (1 minute max), after which all sounded fine. Opinions ranged from tappets, main bearings, idler / tensioner noise etc, however Russell used a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and correctly identified it as piston slap. He suggested the engine would probably out live me and was nothing to worry about at this stage, but being a picky so & so I wanted the noise gone, so he pulled the engine apart and sorted it :}.

It's worth mentioning, Russel is mobile and has been known to travel a fair distance for jobs. This week he is due to be in Liverpool (though I guess that plan may change with current restrictions). Having said that though, I guess a long trip just to listen and diagnose may not be the most economic approach.

Cliff

Dry tappets?

Teflon 15th October 2020 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2842570)
Dry tappets?

Nope, piston slap :}

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...84a46e83_b.jpg

Cliff

edwardmk 15th October 2020 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2842264)
New pistons and liners, plus new main bearings (it just made sense whilst everything was in bits), new gasket set, and a new clutch.

A lot of work, but it's nice and quiet now as it should be :}

Cliff

Very interesting post for me. I 'd have to fix a noise like that too. Useful to know.:bowdown:

roverbarmy 17th October 2020 16:21

Just a thought but the V6 has a low end induction "growl" which changes as the VIS balance valve opens and closes, between 1000 and 2000 revs approx. This could be mistaken for a grinding noise. (not to be confused with a definite ticking noise) :shrug: