The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil seal, your thought please (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318590)

macafee2 6th April 2022 16:36

Oil seal, your thought please

2 Attachment(s)
what are your thoughts on the cause of the crinkling of this oil seal? It is on my trolley jack and is probably the reason for it leaking.
I'm quite chuffed at working out how the trolley jack came apart.

Thank you

macafee2

Popcorn 6th April 2022 17:03

Is the piston scored if so dirt/grit will have worn the seal also how old is the jack old rubber degrades :}

macafee2 6th April 2022 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn (Post 2927261)
Is the piston scored if so dirt/grit will have worn the seal also how old is the jack old rubber degrades :}

jack is 4 - 5 years old at a wild guess but it could be 10.
There is one heck of a score in the cylinder wall and inch or so long, as if an internal cutting lathe tool was wound out instead of in and then withdrawn from the cylinder. Your post has made me wonder, does the ram fully extend or once the seals get to the score, is fluid bypassing the seals?

macafee2

Ducati750cc 6th April 2022 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2927262)
jack is 4 - 5 years old at a wild guess but it could be 10.
There is one heck of a score in the cylinder wall and inch or so long, as if an internal cutting lathe tool was wound out instead of in and then withdrawn from the cylinder. Your post has made me wonder, does the ram fully extend or once the seals get to the score, is fluid bypassing the seals?

macafee2

Has the oil ever been changed or topped up, if so what with ?

Popcorn 6th April 2022 17:44

The score will be the cause of the leak, is it the main ram that is leaking or the pump ram.
Got to have a look at my jack also last time I used it had a puddle of oil luckily jacked the car up enough to get the stand out :duh:
Hydraulics don't like scores piston or cylinder probably find its toast

macafee2 6th April 2022 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducati750cc (Post 2927269)
Has the oil ever been changed or topped up, if so what with ?

not that I recall

macafee2

macafee2 6th April 2022 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popcorn (Post 2927270)
The score will be the cause of the leak, is it the main ram that is leaking or the pump ram.
Got to have a look at my jack also last time I used it had a puddle of oil luckily jacked the car up enough to get the stand out :duh:
Hydraulics don't like scores piston or cylinder probably find its toast

The leak seems to be at the other end of the cylinder where the seal in the photos sit.

macafee2

Mike Noc 6th April 2022 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2927257)
what are your thoughts on the cause of the crinkling of this oil seal? It is on my trolley jack and is probably the reason for it leaking.
I'm quite chuffed at working out how the trolley jack came apart.

Thank you

macafee2

Looks like poor quality rubber that has been degraded by the oil used to me Ian. What make is the jack?

macafee2 7th April 2022 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2927300)
Looks like poor quality rubber that has been degraded by the oil used to me Ian. What make is the jack?

SGS TJ3, never thought much of the jack. It has never lowered the car, just dropped it. I have a new seal kit to fit.
This is a job I have been putting off as I had no idea how the jack came apart. In the end it was easy.

thank you all for your thoughts

macafee2

Bazzateer 7th April 2022 21:06

I've restored a couple of trolleys jacks in recent years. That looks to me like contaminated oil degrading the seal.