The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   car wont start (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292610)

maudlawes 5th February 2019 14:09

car wont start

75 con not been used for some time,went out yesterday,20 miles did some shopping,started fine,20 miles back,stopped at another shop,came out would not start,turns over fine,had breakdown out said it could be elec fuel punp,fitted new one today,still the same,how long does it take to self prime,new fuel and oil fitted and all belts and oil change in last few months,recovery man was talking about crank shaft fuel sender,????anyone got any ideas please:shrug:

vitesse 5th February 2019 15:30

You’ve got a T4 equipped garage in Newton Abbot (Exeter Road Garage) just down the road from you. They should be able to pinpoint the problem with the T4, and save you a lot of time / expense guessing and replacing parts needlessly.

Regards

marinabrian 5th February 2019 16:42

Harry, make sure the ECM isn't sitting in a puddle, and see if there is 12v present on the white/purple wire of the fuel pump.

Brian :D

markypicks 5th February 2019 17:03

can you hear your ubp kicking in when your key is at postion 2 or as Brian says check your plenums make sure your ecu not taken a bath i had the same problem a month ago rgds mark

maudlawes 5th February 2019 17:48

wont start

have got fuel up to the filter and my oil light is on, no water by ecu done most weeks,tomorrow I will crack the injectors to make surh fuel is getting to engine,will test wire as suggested,many thanks to all will keep updating regards harry

marinabrian 5th February 2019 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2708777)
have got fuel up to the filter and my oil light is on, no water by ecu done most weeks,tomorrow I will crack the injectors to make surh fuel is getting to engine,will test wire as suggested,many thanks to all will keep updating regards harry

Don't crack the injector unions Harry, the rail pressure on crank alone is 2200 psi, will the car start with a sniff of easistart?

maudlawes 6th February 2019 07:32

wont start

recovery man tried easystart,will give it another go,what is my next step brian regards harry

Heddy 6th February 2019 08:02

Do you have problems with warm starts cold starts or both?

Loyboy 6th February 2019 08:20

My Rover eats cam sensors, albeit aftermarket ones. Same symptoms, perfectly fine one minute, park then won't fire up, just turns over. I keep two in the car, usually last 6 months or so at £20 each approx. Quick to change, whip of the manifold cover then unplug and one little bolt.
Hope it's that.
Good luck.

maudlawes 6th February 2019 11:20

wont start

thanks to everyone for their suggestions,brian iwas not going to crack the injectors only the pipes on the fuel bar feeding them,tried easystart again engine tried to start but did not will get a computer pluged in in the next few days thanks again to all regards harry

daznkel 6th February 2019 12:18

Have you got access to a digital multimeter to measure the voltages as per THIS thread?

I had a similar problem on my son-in-law's diesel. Turned out to be a duff cam sensor. The thread is HERE if you want to read up. :}

COLVERT 6th February 2019 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2708952)
thanks to everyone for their suggestions,brian iwas not going to crack the injectors only the pipes on the fuel bar feeding them,tried easystart again engine tried to start but did not will get a computer pluged in in the next few days thanks again to all regards harry

Those are the DANGEROUS pipes. High pressure fuel can pass through your skin and KILL you.---:eek::eek::eek:

maudlawes 6th February 2019 14:34

wont start

read about cam sensor when I crank it up the rev counter goes up to about 200 does that mean that the cam sensor is alright as some posts say if it not workink the rew counter will not move regards harry

COLVERT 6th February 2019 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2708992)
read about cam sensor when I crank it up the rev counter goes up to about 200 does that mean that the cam sensor is alright as some posts say if it not workink the rew counter will not move regards harry

That I believe is the CRANK sensor working.----:shrug:

I tried to find you last time I was in Teignmouth when you had problems but couldn't locate you.

My family is the Simmonds, Dave and Rob.

maudlawes 6th February 2019 15:29

wont start

it is not the cam sensor ,just tested it in range rover and its ok regards harry

COLVERT 6th February 2019 20:50

Harry. Please read the other posts.---:duh::duh::duh:

maudlawes 8th February 2019 09:26

wont start

just sent my ecu up to the wizard of the north marinabrian to see what magic he can work,hope it is that otherwise I wont have a clue what is wrong will have to relies on you good members to help me out as I am not mechanically minded,thanks to all regards harry

marinabrian 9th February 2019 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2709559)
just sent my ecu up to the wizard of the north marinabrian to see what magic he can work,hope it is that otherwise I wont have a clue what is wrong will have to relies on you good members to help me out as I am not mechanically minded,thanks to all regards harry

Sadly your ECM is fine, in terms of faultfinding that is.

As suggested you could have a word with Lynne and Tim at Exeter Road garage next.

You are only about five miles away from them,

Find them HERE

Remember to tell them I sent you ;)

Your ECM is back in the post, so you should have it on Monday.

maudlawes 10th February 2019 08:38

wont start

thanks for your help brian,i have got cable tie coming up mid week to sort it out for me,once again many thanks regards harry:shrug:

Arctic 11th February 2019 08:10

Hi Harry.
What type of under bonnet pump did you fit & where from, also how much fuel do you have in the tank above a 1/4 hopefully if not try adding some fuel, once you receive the ECM back today.

Mike Noc 11th February 2019 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2709007)
it is not the cam sensor ,just tested it in range rover and its ok regards harry

Cam sensor failure doesn't prevent all engines from starting - it depends how they are programmed.

I don't know about the Range Rover, but did you try the Range Rover one in your car?

Re the UBP if you unplug the outlet pipe where it connects to the fuel filter and place it in a large jar, then with key to position II you should get a good strong flow of fuel into the jar.

COLVERT 11th February 2019 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2710555)
Cam sensor failure doesn't prevent all engines from starting - it depends how they are programmed.

I don't know about the Range Rover, but did you try the Range Rover one in your car?

Re the UBP if you unplug the outlet pipe where it connects to the fuel filter and place it in a large jar, then with key to position II you should get a good strong flow of fuel into the jar.

Mike. Do you mean the diesel engine will start WITHOUT a signal from the cam sensor ???

PS. Been trying to contact this bloke when I'm at home in Teignmouth but never get a response from him.---:shrug:----I think he lives not far from me too.

Mike Noc 11th February 2019 20:55

Yep but not our engines though John. The only job the cam sensor has is to make sure the engine isn't trying to start 180 degrees out.

You can program a diesel ECM to start injecting even if it doesn't receive the cam sensor signal, and if the engine doesn't fire, phase the injection back 180 and then it will.

Shame Bosch decided not to do this on the M47R. :}

maudlawes 12th February 2019 14:01

wont start

hi artic the punp was the electric fuel pump came from euro parts but it works fine I have half a tank of fuel regards harry

maudlawes 12th February 2019 14:04

wont start

mike noc I did not try the sensor from range rover in my car as I assumed if mine worked in that one it was alright

maudlawes 12th February 2019 14:07

wont start

hi colvert have sent 2 pms but I think you have to clear some space to recive them as your message box is full regards harry

Mike Noc 13th February 2019 05:47

Worth checking the cam sensor plug where the wires go in - I have had a cable break there.

Cable Tie 14th February 2019 21:29

Hi guys went to have a look at the car on Wednesday a few codes came up mainly cambus error and bulb failure,Brian has checked the ecu,I used the vt4 supplied by Phil t4 nothing sprang out to make me think it won’t start,we’ve got both pumps working,immobiliser light going out,loads of fuel,it’s trying to start when you pump the throttle but just won’t fire,never had this problem before it’s always been fuel related so I’m gonna get a few known working spare bits ie cam sensor etc and have another go I’m not easily beaten so hopefully it’ll work with a bit of persuasion lol hi mike the other vehicle is a Land Rover td4 mk1

marinabrian 14th February 2019 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cable Tie (Post 2711468)
Hi guys went to have a look at the car on Wednesday a few codes came up mainly cambus error and bulb failure,Brian has checked the ecu,I used the vt4 supplied by Phil t4 nothing sprang out to make me think it won’t start,we’ve got both pumps working,immobiliser light going out,loads of fuel,it’s trying to start when you pump the throttle but just won’t fire,never had this problem before it’s always been fuel related so I’m gonna get a few known working spare bits ie cam sensor etc and have another go I’m not easily beaten so hopefully it’ll work with a bit of persuasion lol hi mike the other vehicle is a Land Rover td4 mk1

The can messaging error is a red herring as it relates to traction control which Harry's car doesn't have.

What were the other fault codes Matt?

MarkS 15th February 2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2708736)
75 con not been used for some time,went out yesterday,20 miles did some shopping,started fine,20 miles back,stopped at another shop,came out would not start,turns over fine,had breakdown out said it could be elec fuel punp,fitted new one today,still the same,how long does it take to self prime,new fuel and oil fitted and all belts and oil change in last few months,recovery man was talking about crank shaft fuel sender,????anyone got any ideas please:shrug:

How to troubleshoot CDT (I) Starting issues:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=22402

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=289302

Corrosion in the underbonnet fusebox ?

Arctic 15th February 2019 11:23

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2710800)
hi artic the punp was the electric fuel pump came from euro parts but it works fine I have half a tank of fuel regards harry

Have you or anyone checked the regulator O-rings ? but then again you say it wont start with easy start either, but do not rule out the regulator O-rings, and check the wires under the fuse box in the engine bay, that as already been stated.

Cable Tie 15th February 2019 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2711470)
The can messaging error is a red herring as it relates to traction control which Harry's car doesn't have.

What were the other fault codes Matt?

Hi Brian I can’t remember to be honest but one was p1605 and like said was bulbs canbus and glow plug relay so I’m gonna change all the usual stuff

maudlawes 20th February 2019 12:32

wont start

cable tie will be back to me soon, but just noticed engine management light not on when you switch ignition on,any bearing on the problem, regards harry

marinabrian 20th February 2019 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2713110)
cable tie will be back to me soon, but just noticed engine management light not on when you switch ignition on,any bearing on the problem, regards harry

Nope, yours is a pre EOBD compliant ECM Harry, and doesn't self check the EML lamp.

maudlawes 11th March 2019 12:31

wont start

many thanks to all who made suggestions,and thanks to cable tie and brian it is on the road again,once again thanks to all,if you want to know what was wrong ask matt or brian,as I still don't have a clue,what a wonderfull thing this forum is regards harry:}

Nige B 11th March 2019 13:20

well done Guys ....so what exactly caused he non sarting ??

Arctic 11th March 2019 15:56

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maudlawes (Post 2718245)
many thanks to all who made suggestions,and thanks to cable tie and brian it is on the road again,once again thanks to all,if you want to know what was wrong ask matt or brian,as I still don't have a clue,what a wonderfull thing this forum is regards harry:}

HI Harry.
good news then I am sure one or the other will post up what the solution was :}

marinabrian 11th March 2019 16:07

The serial security EEprom on Harry's ECM was faulty ;)

It is the only thing not tested when an ECM is sent for testing, as I pull the original EEprom from the DDE4 and substitute for a virgin one to pair the ECM to my test car for a real time test.

When Matt went to see Harry after I'd given his ECM a clean bill of health, and the car was still not starting with his T4, and read the fault codes, I diagnosed the problem there and then.

The immobiliser was posted to me along with the ECM, I fitted a new security EEprom, and paired the two together.

This is as rare as it is possible to be in terms of fault, as I've experienced only one other fault identical to this in the past twelve years :eek:

Anyway, all is good and Harry is up and running :cool:

Arctic 11th March 2019 21:25

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2718287)
The serial security EEprom on Harry's ECM was faulty ;)

It is the only thing not tested when an ECM is sent for testing, as I pull the original EEprom from the DDE4 and substitute for a virgin one to pair the ECM to my test car for a real time test.

When Matt went to see Harry after I'd given his ECM a clean bill of health, and the car was still not starting with his T4, and read the fault codes, I diagnosed the problem there and then.

The immobiliser was posted to me along with the ECM, I fitted a new security EEprom, and paired the two together.

This is as rare as it is possible to be in terms of fault, as I've experienced only one other fault identical to this in the past twelve years :eek:

Anyway, all is good and Harry is up and running :cool:

Brian
Thank you for posting up the solution ;) did you get my PM last week about a T4 reading I had on a family friends car ? email also sent :}