The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rover 75 2.0 V6 saloon: Battery flat - can't get in car (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319001)

strangeangel 5th May 2022 19:33

Rover 75 2.0 V6 saloon: Battery flat - can't get in car

Hi all

I need to move my late father's car, it's been stood for some time and the battery is flat, so I can't open it by pressing the button on the key. The only physical keyhole I can find on the car opens the boot, but I can't see any obvious way to progress from there - I wondered if there might be an emergency switch in there, but I can't see anything.

Have I missed something obvious, or do I have to force my way in via the back seat? Thanks.

macafee2 5th May 2022 19:50

Is a tow bar fitted? I thought drivers door had a key hole.

macafee2

edwardmk 5th May 2022 19:58

I thought that too. No driver's door key aperture?
If you can't use the key manually in the driver's door due to a fault, search the forum. Lot's of advice on this issue.

BRG75 5th May 2022 20:05

The relevance of a tow bar is that one of the sockets should / might have a direct connection to the battery, hence you can charge the battery, via the relevant pin and earth.

However, if drivers door doesn't have a key hole, then that's very unusual.

strangeangel 5th May 2022 20:39

Nice idea - I would never have thought of that - but no tow bar unfortunately.

There doesn't appear to be a keyhole in the driver's door, unless there's some trick with the door handle that I've not been able to work out...

Mike Noc 5th May 2022 23:20

Jack the front end up and secure it, remove the undertray and then put some jump leads on the starter motor power cable connection and an earth point and connect the other ends to a spare battery and that will power the car so you can open it by pressing the button on the key fob.

SD1too 6th May 2022 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by strangeangel (Post 2930961)
There doesn't appear to be a keyhole in the driver's door ...

That's very strange. :confused:
Is your late father's car a very early registration? Can you post a photograph of the door handle, I'd like to see this!

Simon

strangeangel 6th May 2022 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2930985)
That's very strange. :confused:
Is your late father's car a very early registration? Can you post a photograph of the door handle, I'd like to see this!

The car is on an X-registration, but some years ago I repaired it with a driver's door and wing from the breakers after some kind person performed a hit and run on it while it was parked up in Stockport. No idea what the age of the car was that I took the door from, sorry.

The car isn't with me, but I may be going over to the house this weekend... if I do I'll take a picture and report back.

Arctic 6th May 2022 09:17

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by strangeangel (Post 2931000)
The car is on an X-registration, but some years ago I repaired it with a driver's door and wing from the breakers after some kind person performed a hit and run on it while it was parked up in Stockport. No idea what the age of the car was that I took the door from, sorry.

The car isn't with me, but I may be going over to the house this weekend... if I do I'll take a picture and report back.

The only way there could be no key aperture is that the wrong thumb cap as been put on the door?

suzublu 6th May 2022 09:22

Can you not get in boot and push the seat down?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk