The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help needed changing Auxiliary belt (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315475)

boater 25th September 2021 11:36

Help needed changing Auxiliary belt

Hi

I decided to change the auxiliary drive belt on my Rover 2.0 V6.

What a job!

I have finally removed everything that is in the way and now Haynes tells me to lift the belt tensioner and remove the belt. Well, the tool to use is apparently a 3/8 drive bar or ratchet and I have tried that but there is nowhere to lever against and I am certainly not the strongest bloke and can only move it 3 or 4 mm which is no good at all.

When lifting it is there a locking point or do you have to hold it with one hand and work single handed?

So has anyone done this recently or have any hints or tips that may help me please. It may help if I knew where Geoff Capes lives!

trikey 25th September 2021 15:25

No locking point, just use a bar over the ratchet to give you extra leverage.

boater 25th September 2021 17:49

Thanks Trikey - that is exactly what I did after figuring out that "Lift" really meant turn!

Just got to replace the wing liner and undertray now so will do that in the morning to finish the job.

Out of interest, the belt that came off was a Rover part and may well have been on the car from new (56k miles) and there was not a mark on it!

grivas 27th September 2021 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by boater (Post 2901085)
Thanks Trikey - that is exactly what I did after figuring out that "Lift" really meant turn!

Just got to replace the wing liner and undertray now so will do that in the morning to finish the job.

Out of interest, the belt that came off was a Rover part and may well have been on the car from new (56k miles) and there was not a mark on it!

All the years I have my 75 never found anything Haynes say is accurate.!

boater 27th September 2021 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2901312)

I agree there are many errors and omissions - doing this job the first thing they miss is removing the engine undertray on the V6.

PMAN01 27th September 2021 21:19

I got my local garage to do mine. Half hour job - £26 for the belt and £30 labour. I can’t do that job so in my mind, £56 is a no-brainer. :}

polinsteve 28th September 2021 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by grivas (Post 2901312)

As I'm reaching my dotage I eventually, after about 15 years of 75's, bought a Haynes manual which allegedly covers from 1999 to 2006. It was an absolute waste of money. They seemed to have just changed the years covered on the front cover and ignored the various technical changes throughout the lifetime of car production.

SD1too 28th September 2021 11:16

Hi Steve,

Haynes depends upon information supplied by MG Rover and their RAVE was not kept fully updated either. The paper workshop manual for my SD1 was exactly the same. Don't be too harsh on Haynes, it's not their fault. :D

Simon

boater 28th September 2021 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by exforces (Post 2901403)
I got my local garage to do mine. Half hour job - £26 for the belt and £30 labour. I can’t do that job so in my mind, £56 is a no-brainer. :}

Blimey!

It takes me half an hour to jack up and remove the undertray!

I think in total it took me about 5 hours to complete but I did do some waxoiling and did have problems with the ABS/brake wear connectors as well as releasing the belt tensioner.